Here's a good topic ! Tricks you have learned

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: amc
Vehicle Model: eaglesx4

Here's a good topic ! Tricks you have learned

Post by amceaglesx4 »

What are some of your automotive tricks you have learned ? Here's a few that come to mind

1- carb cleaner around the intake can tell you that there is a vaccum leak by Rpms rising.

2-smell your tailpipe when your car is running. If your eyes burn it is running rich , nose burns too lean, if lightheaded just get fresh air and be happy.

3- for a possible rod knock pull a wire at a time. If the noise gets quieted that's the cylinder.

What you guys got ???
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Here's a good topic ! Tricks you have learned

Post by jsawduste »

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by amceaglesx4 »

Thanks for contributing grouchy smurf lol.
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by amceaglesx4 »

WOW !!!!! 1500 looks and nobody has anything to share ???
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I'll add one. To tighten the crank bolt w/ no way to hold the flex plate or crank itself, bring a piston up to TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed). Back it off enough to stuff some rope in the cylinder via the spark plug hole. Bring position up to TDC again, compressing the rope and locking the crank in place. Torque crank bolt down then reverse crank and remove rope.
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

jsawduste wrote:Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
This!

Don't use the crank bolt to install the harmonic balancer. Use a proper balancer install tool.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Some of us have built so many engines that MANY of these "Tricks" are every day stuff, we take them for granted.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Make: XJ
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by nicpaige »

For changing spark plugs a piece of fuel line or heavy vacuum line slipped over the terminal end of the plug will help you thread it in or out much faster. Stick plug with hose attached in plug hole and spin with the hose. Goes much faster and less chance of cross threading. Also when removing plugs from a warm engine it keeps your fingers from getting burnt.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

jeepxj3 wrote:Don't use the crank bolt to install the harmonic balancer. Use a proper balancer install tool.
This x1000

Instead of antiseize use milk of magnesia on spark plugs. Anti seize can change the heat range of the plug by not allowing the plug to properly transmit heat to the head. Milk of magnesia will allow proper heat transfer and prevent gauling.

Use a torque wrench on any critical fastener.

Weld a steel plate to a jack saddle. Use that to remove transmissions and transfer cases without buying the special jack or adapter.

If you don't have machinist dye use a sharpie. Also, a sharpie can be used when bending aluminum to prevent cracking. Draw a line on the area that you want to bend. Then heat it with a torch until the sharpie disappears.

Use play dough and a caliper to check piston to head & piston to valve clearances.

If you don't have a solid lifter to check valve bind, rocker arm geometry and valve train bind take apart an old hydraulic lifter and shim it up with washers, nuts, etc to make it solid.

If you need checking valve springs check the garage door section at lowes/home depot/ace/etc. They have some light springs that will work.

Prime the fuel system prior to the first start. Key on, then use the pressure check valve to bleed off air in the fuel rail. Repeat until no air comes out. Will help stop excessive cranking on the first start.

Remove the electric fan relay and jump it with a 10 gauge wire to continually run during the cam break in to help keep the header or exhaust manifold cool.

Use a wideband gauge to determine the air fuel ratio and protect the engine from damage.

Use an oil temp gauge. Coolant temp is a poor indicator of engine oil temp. Some people mistakenly think that when the coolant is up to temp you can go balls to the wall. Your oil is still likely cold and not doing its job 100% yet.

Use 50/50 of AFT and acetone as a penetrating fluid.

If you have a tough bolt, back it out a little then run it back in a bit to remove rust that has build up between the nut and bolt.

If you have an XJ you will most likely break the rear upper shock bolts when changing shocks. Plan accordingly.

On most Jeeps (don't know about the newer crap after the WJ and TJ), the engine bolts are standard and most of the chassis bolts are metric.

Do not put used lifters on a new cam. You can put new lifters on a used cam and run the cam break in procedure though.

RTFM!!
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by amceaglesx4 »

I knew where you were going with the bolt idea before I read rear Cherokee shocks lmao. This is good shit, this is the stuff I was talking about. The hose on the spark plug is a good idea too.

Heres another... Take any bolt, cut off the head, dremel a straight line 1/8 deep and now you have removable studs and a flat head screw driver easily takes them out.

I'm looking forward to peoples tricks here !
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by amceaglesx4 »

Really ? 8400 looks and nobody has anything else to add ?
Mr-TT
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Grand cher

Post by Mr-TT »

Most times when there is a problem with a car/jeep/truck the sulotion is usually the simple answer not the complex one.
LenVino
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by LenVino »

Never trust the previous owner!
Knowing that should motivate you to thoroughly inspect your vehicle REGULARLY!

Bought a Jeep?
Swap all the fluids
Hit all the zirk fittings
Remove all the wheels and check brakes AND wheel studs!

Anti-seize is one of my bestest friends. A combination of that and proper torque values helps me keep all my bolts intact and not falling out.

When it comes to gaskets, spend the little bit extra for a quality gasket and sleep well at night.

One last thing that comes to mind: RTV works if you do it right.
Make sure your sealing surfaces are clean, not to mention, straight. Often times, a light sanding will help adhesion.
Apply a moderate to light bead and hand tighten to just before snug.
Allow the RTV to set for a few minutes and then re-tighten to proper values. I've read many complaints about leaks when using RTV and I think it's because many times this last step is skipped. Don't just put on a bead and let it dry and then fill with fluid. Put it on, snug it down, then come back and re-tighten.

I hope I've provided some useful feedback!
Always the best,
Lenny