Replacing camshaft. Need help.

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
RnEmOvr
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Replacing camshaft. Need help.

Post by RnEmOvr »

Getting ready to replace the camshaft in my Jeep (ripped bolts holding the motor mounts out of the block, motor fell and pulled distributor out the top and stripped gears for the distributor). I am got a custom cam from Comp Cams and new lifters. What all do I need to replace while I'm in there? Motor is a 95 4.0. When the cam shaft went I contacted Comp and told them what I had and what I wanted. I told them I didn't need any major power upgrades and didn't want to send the head out to be machined (head was rebuilt last year when I blew head gasket) and asked what they had that would work with a stock head. Kevin told me about this. I will admit I don't know much if anything about camshafts thus me here asking for help. He told me I could reuse all the parts but recommended the new lifters so I got those from Comp as well. It was while talking to a buddy he mentioned new springs and now has me wondering what all I need. I am replacing the chain and gears and the front seal that was leaking. Rockers and PR are my concerns now. Valves, guides and such are all new with last years head build.

Cam spec.

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Replacing camshaft. Need help.

Post by SilverXJ »

Check the cam bearings before installing the camshaft. The lifter preload will determine your push rod length, so check the preload. Make sure you do the proper cam breaking with the proper oil.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Chris, the OP posted this question on another forum. I invited him to bring his questions here.

Besides the normal checks for a cam replacement the issue of the valve springs was a primary concern.

The OP was trying to decide on the OEM spring and the replacements as offered by Comp.

My contention was without doing some checking it would not be wise to recommend ether spring.

Chris, Dino, Russ......
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

The tec at Comp set you up with a good cam.
Your stock springs will work fine with this cam, and as mentioned with proper camshaft break-in procedure you'll be fine.

On a sidenote, if you had motor mount issues i'd suggest a stinky fab, or brown dog mounts.
They pick up more bolt holes along the side of the block.

I sell the Stanky fabs.
Feel free to PM or email me if I could be of any help

Russ
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Ave
West Covina, California 91790
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Russ, isn't the exhaust side a bit tight with stock springs ? Or do I have my numbers mixed up ?
RnEmOvr
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RnEmOvr »

Russ Pottenger wrote:The tec at Comp set you up with a good cam.
Your stock springs will work fine with this cam, and as mentioned with proper camshaft break-in procedure you'll be fine.

On a sidenote, if you had motor mount issues i'd suggest a stinky fab, or brown dog mounts.
They pick up more bolt holes along the side of the block.

I sell the Stanky fabs.
Feel free to PM or email me if I could be of any help

Russ
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Ave
West Covina, California 91790
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
Already picked up the Brown Dogs. I installed them and replaced the distributor, started the Jeep up and loaded it on the trailer. Got to the trail, unloaded it from the trailer and drove 100 yards and that is when it all went to hell. LOL