Stock 4.0 build problem

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Truedough
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Stock 4.0 build problem

Post by Truedough »

This isn't stroker related but i do have a stroker in my other jeep. i just figure the expertise on this site might know. I bought a '97 Grand Cherokee for $500 a few years back. Everything was good except a junk 4.0. he must have never changed the oil because it had a grenaded piston and the oil looked like tar. Recently I finally got enough money to rebuild the engine. i bought a rebuild kit online and sent the block and head to a machine shop for some basic machine work. I only had 120,000 on it so i was hoping to just have it hot tanked, wrist pins and cam bearings installed. They convinced me to go .030 over. I got a good deal under the table. All i did with the head was lap the valves. I had to send the pistons and rings back for the .030 ones. Anyway i rebuilt it and in less than 50 miles it was making a noise like a collapsed lifter. It wasn't. i pulled the head and found all pistons with rub marks on the cylinder walls but #5 was the one making the noise. It is so bad that I will be lucky to bore it again to salvage it. I researched the P/N's for the pistons and rings and it turns out they sent the 93-95 ones. i did more research to find they are slightly different yet they are the same bore. Is that my problem or just coincidence? i am not an engine builder and could have screwed something up without knowing. Does the company that gave me the wrong parts owe me a long block or am i screwed?
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: Stock 4.0 build problem

Post by akadeutsch »

Who did you order the parts from? which pistons did you use? Did you have the mech shop fit the pistons to the bores?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stock 4.0 build problem

Post by SilverXJ »

The rings need to match the pistons. Metric vs. standard sized rings. This and clearances should have been verified by the engine builder.
Where is the rub marks? pics?