Fuel Tank or Pump for CJ

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
XJ2CJ
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cj7

Fuel Tank or Pump for CJ

Post by XJ2CJ »

I'm trying to find the right size tank for a CJ7 that has a built in pump that will work with 96+ FI systems. Has anyone found a good way of doing this?
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Fuel Tank or Pump for CJ

Post by jsawduste »

The CJ`s never had a FI system and all of them relied on the mechanical pump on the block.

Having said that I have had success using the 87-90 YJ steel 15 gallon tank in a CJ frame. Not a "bolt in" but fit pretty well. Now you have the in tank pump and sender asm.
XJ2CJ

Post by XJ2CJ »

I didn't know those tanks had a pump. I'm assuming I'll need a return line from the fuel rail?
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Yes

and may I suggest Chris at http://www.cfoffroad.com/index.html He would have everything you might want. Tell him I sent you.
XJ2CJ

Post by XJ2CJ »

jsawduste wrote:The CJ`s never had a FI system and all of them relied on the mechanical pump on the block.

Having said that I have had success using the 87-90 YJ steel 15 gallon tank in a CJ frame. Not a "bolt in" but fit pretty well. Now you have the in tank pump and sender asm.

Just to make sure, this tank will fit the newer round pump/sending units from a cherokee or wrangler? I hate to go to 15 gallons, but the price looks a lot better than a 4-500.00 custom tank.
I6FAN
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

jsawduste wrote:The CJ`s never had a FI system and all of them relied on the mechanical pump on the block.

XJ2CJ wrote:I didn't know those tanks had a pump. I'm assuming I'll need a return line from the fuel rail?
[

I believe he's referring to the 87-90 YJ's with the throttle body injected 2.5l four cylinder not the 4.2l, so you would be looking for the 2.5l tank(?).
XJ2CJ

Post by XJ2CJ »

I6FAN wrote:

XJ2CJ wrote:I didn't know those tanks had a pump. I'm assuming I'll need a return line from the fuel rail?
[

I believe he's referring to the 87-90 YJ's with the throttle body injected 2.5l four cylinder not the 4.2l, so you would be looking for the 2.5l tank(?).

That's what I think the 15g tank is from. I just want to make sure it will fit the Cherokee fuel pump. I've been trying to figure out ways to fit the cherokee tank, but I would end up modding the rear crossmember, and possibly the one in front of the tank as well to make it work. I'll be running wider than stock axles so I could route the exhaust outside the frame rail, but I would have to drop the tank to remove the tub. And the rear cross member is pretty shot so cutting some of it out wouldn't be a problem as I'm going to be redoing it anyways.

But the 15g tank is a nice fit without the custom tank option or modded frame.
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

I was not as specific as I could have been but yes I am talking about the steel 15 gallon with the round sender for/from a 2.5 YJ.