Grouting a Block

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Grouting a Block

Post by beiwulf »

"Grouting is a means of increasing crankcase and liner stability, which is beneficial as all engines distort under load, and distortion contributes to piston ring blowzy. Doing an average of 40-45% of it's capacity w/ a hard-setting epoxy." Seeing how most of the combustion is happening up top and grouting the lower end might help to keep things true.

Above in quotes from " Secrets of Speed"
isbn 978-1-845842-97-0

I'm respectfully asking for feedback from those that have had 1st or 2nd hand experience with this. Please share links to sites if you haven't had either and found some information that might pertain to it from someone who has.

Thank you,
Brian
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Grouting a Block

Post by SilverXJ »

Aka filling a block. Its done a lot on race car engines, mostly 1/4 mile stuff. I wouldn't recommend it for a street engine.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Grouting a Block

Post by SilverXJ »

I was thinking about this earlier today. With out I6 we also have another problem. The water pump is attached to the front of the block with a fairly low port. It doesn't circulate the water the same way as a Chevy V8 pump does. Their water ports are a bit higher in the block and the pump is not inserted into the block.

Also, search on here for Peter Lechtanski's LSR 3 Comanche build to see if he filled if block or not. I don't think he did.

Edit: Look here at his posts http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/searc ... 3&sr=posts