differance between a 894.0 and 96 block

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
bike129
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

differance between a 894.0 and 96 block

Post by bike129 »

Can someone please tell me if there is a differance between a 89 and a 96 engine block, and what it is...I know the heads are different. I plan on stroking a 96, and dropping it in my 89 xj...and using all the original intake. Thanks..
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: differance between a 894.0 and 96 block

Post by cruiser54 »

Using the 96 head?

This is quite simple as long as we know your intentions.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
bike129
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by bike129 »

I am planning on using the 96 head, and either using the 88 intake, and port matching the head to it, or using the 96 intake and try to get the 88 TPS to work with it....i am open for suggestions. Thanks.
woodjeep
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by woodjeep »

The "Block" is the same externally...it does have the girdle on the inside so you will need to add some spacers. You will need to use the 96 stamped valve cover..When I did my 96 block into a 92 I wanted to use original valve cover-seemed better, but there was a lip on the 92 cover that would not fit the 96 head. The 96 fuel rail has no regulator so you might have to re-use your original fuel rail. The 97/97 power steering setup was different on the 96 from my 92 so I had to get a different power steering bracket and pump...it was the tensioner on my 92 but on the 96 it was fixed and used an adjuster pulley. Not too many other differences..it was mostly plug an play. The throttle body on the 96 had an extra sensor...I think -map- I just left it disconnected and used my stock on the firewall
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

The 96+ block also has additional webbing and the cam shaft is setup different then 95 and earlier from what I have been learning about this passed 2 weeks. Pre 90s blocks will also have an extra accessories hole on the back 3/4 passenger side of the block for the carburetor setup. The 90+ H.O. 4.0L engine won't have it do to the Fuel Injector/MPI and the cylinder head is different. Most people looking for an increase and performance upgrade look to use a 99+ (horse-shoe shaped) intake manifold (this manifold combined with other mods like upgrade exhaust/header and bigger injectors, FPR = +30lbs of torque and 10-15hp gains modestly). As for the Cylinder head 7120 is the first set of castings for the High Output setup, 0630 is the 2nd used from 96-99. 2000-mid year 2001 the 0331 was used for the cylinder head and has been well known for it's cracking ontop between 3 and 4 bolts under the valve cover. Later then mid 2001 cylinder head will have a " TUPY " under the valve cover portion of the cylinder head on top and is known to be more reliable and addressed the prior cracking issue (you can see the additional material over internal bolt areas between 3 and 4). There are lots of pictures on the H.O. cylinder head if you need a reference. If you are looking for pictures of an older cylinder head setup before you tear yours down I can provide you with some pictures of an 1984 4.2L cylinder head and casting number for reference.

People have done a H.O. cylinder head conversion to older blocks. Atleast one person on this site has done it using JB weld on the coolant holes in the cylinder head since they don't mate with the older block style.

Renix system to 99+ intake
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... it=jb+weld

Here it is money…Jeep-Power did a nice walk thru i thought and pictures !!! (love the pics)
4.0 head and EFI on a 4.2 block (thread name)

Not sure if it was all his work from glancing at some of the thread - but certain compiled nicely.
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342