Out w. Narrow Band - In w. Wide Band A/F Meter

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Out w. Narrow Band - In w. Wide Band A/F Meter

Post by Comanche91 »

I've been running a narrow band Autometer A/F meter for years and I'm sick of it. About all it tells me with certainty is the transition from closed to open loop. I want to change over to a proper AEM wide band A/F meter and I have a couple of questions. Instead of messing with a "simulated" O2 sensor 0-1V output to the ECU like some wide band manufacturers use, I've decided to leave the narrow band O2 sensor alone and let it continue doing it's job feeding my OBD1 ECU, and weld on a new bung for the wide band O2 sensor. My question is bung placement. I have a Mike Leach header (pictured below) and really do not want to cut a hole in the lower tubes. I would like to install the new bung on the collector elbow pipe after the flange. I have several of these and can easily replace it if needed. Will the wide band O2 sensor be too far away from the exhaust port?

Or does anyone have a better plan? Thanks..

91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
Alexia
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Jeep

Re: Out w. Narrow Band - In w. Wide Band A/F Meter

Post by Alexia »

Straight from the AEM UEGO manual.

"A weld-in M18 X 1.5 boss is supplied for sensor installation. Mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust system at least 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port. If you anticipate high EGT's (over 800C), run a turbocharger, run at high RPM for extended periods of time or plan on running leaded race fuel then you must mount the sensor at least 36 inches or more downstream of the exhaust port as all of these can cause the sensor to overheat. On turbocharged engines the UEGO sensor must be installed after the turbo charger, if not, the pressure differential will greatly affect the accuracy of the unit. For accurate readings, the sensor must be mounted before catalytic converters and/or auxiliary air pumps. To prevent collection of liquids between the sensor housing and sensor element during the cold start phase, the installation angle should be inclined at least 10° from horizontal with the electrical connection upwards, see below."

I will be mounting mine on the passenger side before the stock oxygen sensor, but a few inches in front of it.
Comanche91
Donator
Donator

Post by Comanche91 »

Thanks Alex. Maybe I should learn to read? Do I know you from somewhere? :mrgreen:

One other question for you. That's about where the new WB sensor will be going now. The A/F meter will replace the narrow band unit currently residing on the driver's A-pillar. Is the cable long enough to make it that far w/o extending it?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

It will be fine where you want to put it.
Alexia
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Alexia »

Comanche91 wrote:Thanks Alex. Maybe I should learn to read? Do I know you from somewhere? :mrgreen:

One other question for you. That's about where the new WB sensor will be going now. The A/F meter will replace the narrow band unit currently residing on the driver's A-pillar. Is the cable long enough to make it that far w/o extending it?
The included cable is ridiculously long.
mark2215
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by mark2215 »

To add to this topic I'm in the process of figuring out where to put my wideband sensor. I have a 2005 supercharged 4.0, soon to be 4.6. Right now I have the wideband in the rear upper stock location with narrowband simulator but the narrowband is causing CEL issues. I'm installing a JBA header with the stroker and want to weld a separate o2 bung for the wideband. Where do I put it? Front bank, rear bank? It's going to be tough fitting it anywhere because the header space before the precats is very minimal. Any thoughts?
Comanche91
Donator
Donator

Post by Comanche91 »

Alexia wrote:
Comanche91 wrote:Thanks Alex. Maybe I should learn to read? Do I know you from somewhere? :mrgreen:

Thanks Alex, do you have the AEM WB kit in hand? How long is ridiculously long? In inches connected up end-to-end from sensor to gauge please....
SilverXJ wrote:It will be fine where you want to put it.
Thanks Silver.
Alexia
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Alexia »

Comanche91 wrote:
Alexia wrote:

Thanks Alex, do you have the AEM WB kit in hand? How long is ridiculously long? In inches connected up end-to-end from sensor to gauge please....
12' cable plus 1' on the sensor.
Comanche91
Donator
Donator

Post by Comanche91 »

Yep, that's long enough. Thanks.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

Commanche-

is the wideband up & running?

I am using one on my Turbo setup and an looking to compare notes, please.

What is the AFR at cruising speed/load? My reason for asking is that the AFR on mine tends to run about 12:1 at 2 inches of vacuum, and then goes to 11.7or so at full boost (7PSI).

I know I want it richer under boost (to keep things cool & fight detonation), but I am also looking to gain as much fuel mileage out of this thing as possible. It is a hungry beast! The Jeep 4.0 is known as a 'lean burn' engine, as far as I've heard. I am hoping to attain a little bit of that leanness wen I am running in vacuum.

I have a standalone controller on it so tuning the ideal AFR isn't too tricky.

Any help from anyone is much appreciated!
Comanche91
Donator
Donator

Post by Comanche91 »

Have not wired it in yet Jeep-Power. Been a bit lazy since the holidays are coming up.......
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

No problem