gears for stroker

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
wj4play
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

gears for stroker

Post by wj4play »

New to the site - Always wanted a stroker for my 99wj (bought new off the lot in 99) and thinking of going that route now. I am on my second motor and once again the factory piston skirt has cracked/broke and now the piston is cracked so time for a rebuild again.

Question:
I have a ford 9" /jk30 sitting in my garage but the problem is that I can only put 5:14 gears in it and the JK30 will only take 5:13 - One shop told me that it would be ok but I am leery since i will be driving this in 4wd full time (np242) I also currently have 37"s on it. Will this combo cause any issues with the drive train? even after stroked?

Back history:
I am the original owner and at 150k the #6 piston disintegrated and now the second motor (used Junk yard) motor is suffering the same fate at 199k. At the price of a new one vs used I will be rebuilding and stroking this one.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: gears for stroker

Post by shawnxj »

your allowed something like 10% difference in gear sets before it causes problems so a 5.13 and 5.14 won't cause any issues. personally i wouldn't go over a 4.88 in that 30 because the pinion gets really small and the ring gets really thin
JPrubo
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by JPrubo »

The difference in ratio's should be fine as it's so slight. Also if you are using an all time four wheel drive the is some allowable slippage between the front and rear shafts. You're should only be locking it in when offroad and there it won't be that noticeable. I have actually heard of people running slightly lower (numerically) gears in the front for wheeling. The slightly faster speed of front wheels help to pull the vehicle over rocks and ledges.
wj4play
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by wj4play »

thanks for responding - I am also leary of the small pinnion in the 5:13 so I may just put the 44/14bolt I have in it just to bomb proof it. 10% is what they said and thanks for confirming that.

Will be awhile unitl I tear everything down and just collecting thoughts now - thanks

JP