anyone use the poly performance motor mount inserts.

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

anyone use the poly performance motor mount inserts.

Post by turbojeeper »

I did and I say you shouldn't. Only 2 months and this is what the drivers side looks like.

So this is what did
boosted Comanche on megasquirt, 8.90"s in the 1/8th. getting faster one step at a time!!
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: anyone use the poly performance motor mount inserts.

Post by cruiser54 »

BrownDog is the way to go.

Are you aware of this?

From Jon Kelley aka 5-90 @ www.kelleyswip.com

This is a known issue.

1) Unless you're going to get silly with the skinny pedal, 2xSAE8 screws on one side won't be a huge problem. You'd be better off with three, but if you don't get silly you'll be okeh.

2) The Brown Dog engine mounts use two or three additional holes on each side, and spread the mount/clamping force over more of the block. This is invariably a good idea, and I'll probably be doing it as I refit my 88.

3) The primary reason that the screws snap is because, sometimes, the screw holes in the block aren't drilled & tapped deeply enough. This causes the screw to bottom out in the hole, so you end up torquing against the bottom of the hole instead of stretching the screw (as you're supposed to do. Not your fault - you aren't doing anything wrong.) The screw is not stretched properly, and the head is not butted up against the bracket, so there's some room to move there. Vibration then causes wear cycles on the screw, which generally leads to rupture.

The easy/cheap fix? When you replace the screws (3/8"-16x1.25", as I recall,) put two flat washers under the head before you screw it into the hole.

The check? Take a feeler gage (.003" to .005") and try to slide it under the head of the screw. You'll be able to get under the corners (look at the hex head, and you'll see that the surfaces curve toward each other slightly) if it's a standard hex head - if it's a flanged hex head, you should not be able to get under the head anywhere. If you can slip the gage under the head, you have a problem. If you can touch the shank of the screw, you have a big problem!

In no case should you reuse the screws after you take them out - they'll be stressed under the head, and you'll have a significant reduction in strength. Replace them outright, putting washers under the head as I mentioned before. The washers will make up for the slight lack of depth in the hole (two of them will be about 0.125" or so,) and allow the screw to be preloaded properly.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

turbojeeper wrote:So this is what did
Wow. Let us know how that works. I would be concerned that there is no engine movement.
cruiser54 wrote:2) The Brown Dog engine mounts use two or three additional holes on each side, and spread the mount/clamping force over more of the block. This is invariably a good idea, and I'll probably be doing it as I refit my 88.
Thats only on the upgraded mounts.
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by turbojeeper »

that and i haven't had any issues with broken bolts, just the poly mount itself. the solid mount is for the time being. the engine was siting and inch lower on the left side and things were hitting which shouldn"t have been. so thats what i thought of in a pinch. but if it works out well then i may keep it.
boosted Comanche on megasquirt, 8.90"s in the 1/8th. getting faster one step at a time!!