Replacing the fuel injector wire loom

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Replacing the fuel injector wire loom

Post by SilverXJ »

Last weekend I fabricated a replacement for the stock plastic fuel injector wire wire loom. This is the plastic piece that keeps all the injector wiring neat and secured to the stock head bolts. I did this for two reasons. 1) It won't work with ARP head bolts and 2) mine was already cracked.

I started with a 1/16" thick C-channel piece of aluminum but decided that wasn't sturdy enough for what I wanted. I then milled off one side of a 1" piece of aluminum tube to make another C- channel piece. The 1/16" C will hold the wire and nest inside of the 1" piece. The 1" piece was then secured to the intake manifold using one of the throttle bracket mounts, a second empty factory mount and then to the manifold itself at the back. I was originally going to use 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum stock to make the brackets to the manifold but decided it was too weak and would eventually fatigue and break. All the pieces were sanded so there are no rough edges for the wires to chafe on with appropriate openings for the wires to pass through on both pieces.

The logic behind this was that I could remove the manifold and 1" channel while still having the wires organized in the 1/16" thick channel.

1/16" channel holding wires:

1" channel:

Rear mount through manifold 'webbing':

1/16" channel inside 1":

Finished pics:
honkysXJ
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: almost stroked
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: Replacing the fuel injector wire loom

Post by honkysXJ »

Very nice clean work ,I might have to try that myself since the stock loom is a brittle P.O.S not to mention the aluminum gives it a little bling :lol: in a good way and It won't rust :rockout: !
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Replacing the fuel injector wire loom

Post by SilverXJ »

If you are in a salty environment (seaside, or rust belt) aluminum will corrode with a fuzzy white appearance. Just look at your intake manifold. In those pics the aluminum was painted, but I may go with a powdercoat in the future. Also, aluminum can be anodized. Maybe a nice blue would set it off a bit more. Or the dark grey hard anon.