Should I get a 62mm throttle body spacer with new 62mm TB?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
charley3
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Should I get a 62mm throttle body spacer with new 62mm TB?

Post by charley3 »

I have a 99 XJ that has a stock engine (so far). It will remain stock for at least a couple years. I don't know if I'll ever stroke it.

For now, I'm just looking for modest performance improvements in mid and higher rpm HP and torque without losing any lower rpm HP or torque. Also, I hope to improve gas mileage a little.

I just ordered a AFE "cold" (cooler) air intake with the synthetic dry filter.

I plan to order a Hesco 62mm or F & B 62mm throttle body. Would you recommend the Hesco or the F & B throttle body?

Should I also get a throttle body spacer? I've heard they are a waste and don't work, but then I've heard they do work when used on a larger throttle body. So which is it?

Would a 62mm TB spacer added to the 62mm TB help? Should I get the TB spacer?
honkysXJ
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: almost stroked
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: Should I get a 62mm throttle body spacer with new 62mm T

Post by honkysXJ »

From what I've heard the 62 mm T.B is a worthy modification ,you might check Jeff Leigh at strokedjeep.com probably be cheaper than hesco or the other one you mentioned. As for the spacer I heard that a lot of them make an annoying whistle sound and arent all that great ! Again thats just what I've heard/read so take it as hearsay!

I plan to bore my own t.b out can't be that difficult if you have any tools or skill and will for sure be better than blowing 300$
On a throttle body!

STROKE IT :rockout:
charley3
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by charley3 »

Hesco's website states that throttle body spacer will cause whistling sound during acceleration, and that is normal, and not to worry about it. So that rumor is confirmed, IMO. I'm not sure if that would be tolerable, or drive me crazy. If it only whistles during acceleration, I'm OK with that. If it whistles while cruising on the freeway, that would drive me nuts.

As to whether a larger throttle body helps much, I don't know. Hesco claims it does, but they are selling them. So they are not impartial, but they do have a good reputation.

I'm pretty sure a large throttle body helps when intake and exhaust are ported, but would it help me with stock (unported) intake and exhaust? Would a larger throttle body cause driveability problems on a stock 1999 4L engine? I do have high flow cone air filter, but that's my only engine "mod" so far.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

If you have the later intake manifold it won't make a noticeable change. Plus, depending on what kind of cold air intake you are running it may not even fit.
charley3
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by charley3 »

SilverXJ wrote:If you have the later intake manifold it won't make a noticeable change. Plus, depending on what kind of cold air intake you are running it may not even fit.
Are you referring to larger TB or TB spacer?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Spacer