3 inch lift questions

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
AaronJ
Noob
Noob

3 inch lift questions

Post by AaronJ »

I am doing a small lift on my 92 cherokee, 3 inch spring up front and out back. I am keeping the stock control arms, would I benifit any by "boxing" them. I could weld some metal in there to make them a little stronger. or would it be worth it? I wouldn't want to get too much heat in there and warp them.
this is not a rock crawler, daily driver + camping and hunting mostly on dirt, mud, snow. I just wanted a little more clearence.

O ya i am replacing all the bushings to the poyl ones.

Aaron
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 3 inch lift questions

Post by SilverXJ »

In my opinion stronger control arms are better. I have a 3" lift on my XJ and I had this wobble in the front end around 55 mph. Very annoying. I went through numerous alignments, balancing, bushing changes etc (including the control arms). What solved it was replacing both the lower and upper control arms with after market ones. Control arm length and caster stayed the same. I would definitely box them. ironrockoffroad.com has some good arms at low prices if you choose replacements. I purchased UCAs and a tie rod from them and was very impressed by the quality and support. No affiliation.
AaronJ
Noob
Noob

Re: 3 inch lift questions

Post by AaronJ »

I decided to go with Rusty's 3" spring pack lift (new springs all around) adjustable track bar from rocky road. All new spicer ball joints and tie rod ends. UCA and LCAs from warrior.
I will probably document the whole build, may be here in the project section. I am going to do the suspension and steering stuff first, paint, then the drive train. this should be alot of fun.

Aaron