4.5L INJECTOR SIZE? Double checking before buying

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
fsjeep13
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 4.5L INJECTOR SIZE? Double checking before buying

Post by fsjeep13 »

xjcody wrote:I just bought the same 4.5 stroker for my 2000 xj. Only problem I had with Motor works/ West coast engine is that they sent me an engine with a thrust plate cam in a non thrust plate block(98 based on casting number). I sent it back and they drilled and tapped the bosses and installed a thrust plate. i have about 60 miles on it and just got back from the smog place and it passed with flying colors. When i was leaving the check engine light came on and just got home and read the codes p0300, p0301, p0304, p0305. i am running the BOSCH/FORD 24# Injector a part number: 0 280 155 849 and after reading this thread, are they way too big and causing my problem? Slightly rough idle but otherwise runs great and has great power. Hopefully this is of some help to you.
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
-Cody
Hijack away my friend!

I wonder what those codes are, becuase I will throw them too. So no visible smoke? Was the power worth the money? Hell its pretty cheap anyway. Also, its probaly too soon, but gas mileage?

What does your idle sound like? or does it hover at 1,000 and 800 or so and back?
fsjeep13

Post by fsjeep13 »

I think you are misfiring...

I did a quick search. p0300 is misfire detected.

the 301 is cylinder 1 misfire, etc...

That means the 24 lb injectors are way too big. Too much fuel. No bueno. dang.
fsjeep13

Post by fsjeep13 »

Check this out: Golen adverstises that no computer mods need to be made whatsoever!!! Just 24lb injectors and 91 octane. That does not seem to make sense from things I have been reading here.

http://www.golenengineservice.com/jeep-tech-articles-2/
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

xjcody wrote: i have about 60 miles on it and just got back from the smog place and it passed with flying colors. When i was leaving the check engine light came on and just got home and read the codes p0300, p0301, p0304, p0305. i am running the BOSCH/FORD 24# Injector a part number: 0 280 155 849 and after reading this thread, are they way too big and causing my problem? Slightly rough idle but otherwise runs great and has great power. Hopefully this is of some help to you.
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
-Cody
When you floor it do you see black smoke out the tail pipe? Have you pulled the plugs to check their color? If you want post a pic. That being said it could very well be your coil rail. Those are misfire codes. At what point during driving did the CEL come on? Any odd sounds? Do you have a wideband O2 sensor?
fsjeep13 wrote:Check this out: Golen adverstises that no computer mods need to be made whatsoever!!! Just 24lb injectors and 91 octane. That does not seem to make sense from things I have been reading here.
While the engine may run fine with just the injector changed you are leaving power on the table if the AFR isn't right. Like I said earlier, its safer to go too large of an injector than too small. I recommend anyone that has a stroker invest in a wide band O2 sensor. Even a cheapie narrow band would be a good idea because at least it can tell you if its running lean. But they aren't good for much more.
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

SilverXJ wrote: I recommend anyone that has a stroker invest in a wide band O2 sensor.
That can be read from the OBD2 with the proper instrument, correct?
I have an Innovate Motorsport that has OBD2 capability.....which I never need to tune my 1966 Buick GS! Hope I can put it to use to tune my XJ.
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

No, you can't read wideband data from the OBDII port as the stock O2 sensors are narrow band.
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

SilverXJ wrote:No, you can't read wideband data from the OBDII port as the stock O2 sensors are narrow band.
Thanks! that's very good to know. I'll be adding some bungs for the wideband sensors before I fire it up then.
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
xjcody
Stroker Displacement: 4.5

Post by xjcody »

My OBD2 scanner read the following. My jeep is a 2000 xj with CA emissions at sea level. My old 4.0 had a cylinder 3 misfire so it might be related? Both o2 sensors before the precats are new, everything else is factory @ 100k

fuel sys 1 CL
fuel sys 2 CL
Calc Load(%) 13.33
ECT(°F) 217
STFT B1(%) 1.56
LTFT B1(%) 2.34
STFT B2(%) 0.00
LTFT B2(%) -3.13
MAP(inHg) 0.00
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

xjcody wrote:My OBD2 scanner read the following. My jeep is a 2000 xj with CA emissions at sea level. My old 4.0 had a cylinder 3 misfire so it might be related? Both o2 sensors before the precats are new, everything else is factory @ 100k

fuel sys 1 CL
fuel sys 2 CL
Calc Load(%) 13.33
ECT(°F) 217
STFT B1(%) 1.56
LTFT B1(%) 2.34
STFT B2(%) 0.00
LTFT B2(%) -3.13
MAP(inHg) 0.00
When was this snapshot taken? The MAP value is 0, which IIRC, would indicate its at WOT (but 13.3% load?) or possibly a faulty map sensor. However, I doubt its WOT as both fuel systems are in closed loop. But it doesn't tell us much more. See my reply to you above as there are some questions in it.
fsjeep13

Post by fsjeep13 »

Cody,
Do you run an aftermarket header? intake? exhaust?
xjcody
Stroker Displacement: 4.5

Post by xjcody »

The Jeep hasn't been near full throttle yet, so I suspect the map wasn't working? I replaced the map and it seems to be running better. With the 24lb injectors I saw no black smoke out of the exhaust.

I put the factory injectors back in to check for any differences. It now seems to have a dead spot in the mid rpm range. So I'm going to reinstall the bigger injectors. As of right now I am running a cat back exhaust and trail jammer kit minus the chip. I had to use my factory manifolds since my banks header was cracked and was unable to access the spot to weld.

Oh and the upper o2 sensors are just parts store replacement. I believe Bosch.
Crawler4XJ
Noob
Noob

Post by Crawler4XJ »

SilverXJ wrote:
fsjeep13 wrote:Thanks for the info.

Do you plan on trying 23.5 lb injectors? If that is even something out there...

Can somebody tune the PCM differently or MAP sensor to make it operate smoothly?
I had my PCM tuned by a company a while ago. I didn't have the cold start at the time so I didn't address that. That company that I dealt with in the past no longer does that. I was recently searching on ebay for a hesco aluminum head (always keeping my eyes open for a used one) and found another guy that does the PCM tunning. He had an option to address cam problems with the PCM. I have been emailing him and sending him data in hopes to send him my PCM to re tune with some changes. He seems pretty sharp and very knowledgeable with tuning.
fsjeep13 wrote:If closed loop if hot idle, you technically should not be having a rough idle right? Thats weird. I have to have this pass smog, otherwise there is no point!
Well, while in closed loop the PCM doesn't rely 100% on the o2 sensors. It also takes into account the other sensors, which include the MAP. Usually when a cam doesn't play well with the PCM its usually caused by a MAP signal that is erratic. Off idle it runs just fine. And really the hot idle isn't that bad, but I feel it could be better. As for smog issues you would have to ask some other members. The comp 68-231 and 68-232 that I ran in the past didn't have the idle and start issues.
Agree. I have a 231 comp cam and 703 injectors and it starts and runs fine.
darkcorp
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: GCh 4.0

Post by darkcorp »

Guys, could someone clarify about Bosch 0280155784 injectors?
I use them in my 4.6 stroker (got my refurbished set from ebay) as SilverXJ recommended.

I've searched through internet and met different flow rate numbers of these injectors, for ex:
1. The ones I have used MOPAR 53032704AB -or- Bosch 0280155784 run about 24.2# on the 49 psi rail (source viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2926&p=26478&hilit ... 784#p26478)
2. Bosch 0280155784 26.3lb/hr @ 43.5psi - so at 49 psi they should flow 29.6 lb/hr (source http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html)
3. 0280155784 - 276 cc/min or 26 lb/hr at 3 Bar or 44.1 psi - so at 49 psi they should flow 28.9 lb/hr (source http://injector-rehab.com/shop/Flow_Rates.html)
4. More flow (much closer to the stock injector flow rate than the ford XF2E-C4B) is provided by Bosch #0280155784 (22.5#[email protected]), which are the same as the older Neon injectors 0280155703, but with a uscar electrical connector - so at 49 psi they should flow 25.3 lb/hr (source http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=92236)

So where is the truth?