Starter engagement

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Killman
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4,6
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Starter engagement

Post by Killman »

I make own topic for this, all may not read my project thread but I really need advice.

I have a problem after stroking and changing flex plate, my start motor do not engage with flex plate ring. Start motor engagement is far from acceptable, flexplate ring is so far ( about 0.6 in / 15 mm from starter assembly surface to ring) that stater engagement is only around 2-3 mm (0.1 in). Any guess why?

I dropped transmission Saturday again, took flexplate on the table and compared with old broken one. New one is slightly different but not so much that I can say it is wrong one. To me it seems that crank end and converter anyhow mandates the location of flexplate which is "flexing" as name suggests so that these fixing surfaces flex it and starter ring is then were it comes. Now I decided to machine from start motor surface 4-5 mm away so that it goes further in. Also I think to cut the Al plate, which is between the motor and trans, away from the starter area and gain another 2 mm.

Am I alone with this problem or has someone experienced same?
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Starter engagement

Post by Flash »

Install you old flex plate and see if there is a depth difference between the two................also so, see if the flex plate can be installed backward........even tho there is an off set hole in the crank, you my be able to install it frontwards or backwards..................................................

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Killman

Post by Killman »

There is 2-3 mm difference with old and new in center level vs ring level, but thin steel plate can not hold in those measurements when it is fixed fast in converter and crank end.

Bended edge for CPS holes makes it impossible to install wrong way.
Killman

Post by Killman »

I got over this by machining from start motor so that it goes further in. Original reson still remains mystery to me, but this was good warning that everything is possible when you mate parts from different motors.