Renix Throttle Bodies

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Renix Throttle Bodies

Post by Jeep-Power »

I have been boring out the '91 and up 4.0 throttle bodies by removing the reduction below the throttle plate.

I am wondering if the Renix TB has the same reduction, or is the throttle bore the same diameter for the entire length of the bore?

Thanks!--Peter
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Renix Throttle Bodies

Post by Muad'Dib »

Jeep-Power wrote:I have been boring out the '91 and up 4.0 throttle bodies by removing the reduction below the throttle plate.

I am wondering if the Renix TB has the same reduction, or is the throttle bore the same diameter for the entire length of the bore?

Thanks!--Peter
Its the same diameter the entire length of the bore. So a new butterfly valve is also needed when boring a RENIX TB.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

Thanks for the confirmation.

How extra oomph is had from a larger Renix TB bore? I know it makes a difference opening the 91-06 TB's up to 60mm straight through...
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

Oletshot punched out my renix TB (61mm, i think), and the wife dyno asked if I "tuned up" the Heep.
She's about as non car savvy as you can get.

I did notice a very noticeable change in tip in and it picked up .5-1 MPG over 4 tanks (probably due to not having to floor it and waste a bunch fuel on a downshift)
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

Jeep-Power wrote:Thanks for the confirmation.

How extra oomph is had from a larger Renix TB bore? I know it makes a difference opening the 91-06 TB's up to 60mm straight through...
Its fairly significant as far as throttle response is concerned. I had to install a spacer to help even it out... it just was way to sensitive.

No numbers, just ass dyno.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

I did both yuppiexj's and Muad'Dib's to 61mm. I don't know how much actual HP is gained, but as both have said throttle response is outstanding (maybe to good, if there is such a thing). I have found that some of the Renix casting's don't like being opened up to 61mm.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

It's unlikely that you've actually gotten a performance gain from the bored TB, other than by BD ("Butt Dyno") readings. Since the OEM throttle bodies are even able to support strokers, it's not strictly necessary.

What a bored throttle body (and larger throttle valve) /does/ do for you is exaggerate the rate at which the throttle opens, giving you a more crisp part-throttle response. /That/ is what you're feeling.

If part-throttle response is important to you, then that's the way to go. You're not going to really change WOT response or raw power figures, since the main choke point is in the cylinder head (and not in the throttle valve.)
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."