Batteries

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Batteries

Post by SilverXJ »

I need a new battery for my XJ... for some reason (probably due to sitting and then charging while the Titan is fubar) the one in it is completely dead.

I would like a sealed battery. Optima is out of the question because it is unreliable. Exide Orbital is one option ($140), however I have heard they are owned by Johnson Controls, which owns Optima.. and they look alike.. similar failure rate possible? Then there is the Odyssey PC 1500 (http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500.htm) which is $250 (ouch!). Then there are two other interesting options. The company is Braille auto. Their email to me is below. They suggest two batteries. The B3121 is one option ($170), its small (almost half of the stock sized one), but appears to have the same specs and less weight. The other one is the B6034 (http://www.brailleauto.com/productcart/ ... roduct=201). It is more comparable to the Odyssey (actually it is rated higher than the odyssey) and has a 70 month warranty.

I'm really interested in the Braille, but which one, and is it worth it (light weight vs monster power)? Then there is Exide, which I don't know about.

I'm still thinking about getting a standard $80 battery,, but I wanted something sealed.

Oh.. I'm running various interior accessories and run 400 watts of halogen on the front.

Opinions?

-Chris

Thank you for your interest in our products. The Pulse Cranking Amp rating is the amount of cranking power the battery will produce for 5 seconds at 80 degrees temperature, which is the average temp most cars are driven and most cars start within 5 seconds so this is an appropriate rating for the average car.
Cold cranking amps is the cranking power at 0 degrees temperature for a full 30 seconds.

The b3121 is an amazing battery that is OEM on many high end cars, including the new top of the line Corvette. It is perfect for starting and daily driving. For mounting in the group 34 setting you’ll need a mount kit – the BRBFRP8 is recommended as the best choice. For $199.99 full cost it is an amazing value.
http://www.brailleauto.com/productcart/ ... dproduct=7

If you are looking for the ultimate in power, but are less concerned about weight our new B6034 is our newest battery, perfectly sized in the group 34 bolt-in option and is a knock out compared to the Optima brand line with more power, more warranty and less weight than there group 34 battery! The cost is a bit higher, but the value is amazing since it is a 6 year battery and uses the same racing technology that features sealed construction and amazing reliability.
Here is a link to this battery which is now becoming available:
http://www.brailleauto.com/productcart/ ... ategory=74

Whichever Braille battery you choose we would be happy to assist you with mounting and accessory options!
heartlandoffroad
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7 turbo

Re: Batteries

Post by heartlandoffroad »

I have used a pair of the B3121 in my trail rig for 2 years and 1 in my comp rig I love them. They have never let me down even on hard winch pulls. I do have a 160 amp alternators in then though.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Ive got an Exide Orbital in my Jeep, and i had one in another vehicle some time ago... i swear by them now. No problems, and plenty of power.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I was all set to get one of the Braille batteries. But I contemplated too long and with shipping it would have taken too long to get here. So I went to napa and got an Exide Orbiatal for about $50 less than the Braille. Meh.. next time I'll give a Braille a try. They were quite quick in getting back to me with my questions too.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Report back after you abuse that orbital for awhile.

I just recently accidently put my 4 gauge ground wire (to the header stud \ radiator crossmember) to my positive post for a second or so... that was exciting! Still pumping away.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I've done that to a standard battery once.. but a ratchet bridging the terminals. There is still burn marks on the battery terminal and the ratchet.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

Why is it that I know better than to put my wrenches there, but I just can't stop. It's just to damn convenient. :lol:
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I know. nice flat spot. Tools and parts go there. Like the upper radiator support.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I've welded a tool or two that way.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

SilverXJ wrote:I know. nice flat spot. Tools and parts go there. Like the upper radiator support.
Yeah, that's another favorite of mine. I have put a hole in a radiator with an screw driver falling off the support. The radiator was really weak and needed replacing anyway but it didn't have hole until I came along with the screw driver. :oops:
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.