E85?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6l

E85?

Post by FrankZ »

Anyone using it?

What did you do to your rig to accomadate the new fuel?

Pro's and cons from anyone that's used it.

Homebrew kit or did you buy a ready to install kit?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: E85?

Post by Muad'Dib »

FrankZ wrote:Anyone using it?

What did you do to your rig to accomadate the new fuel?

Pro's and cons from anyone that's used it.

Homebrew kit or did you buy a ready to install kit?
You know after hearing about e85 i researched it a bit, and from what i found it really ends up being the same as paying for gas anyway. Not only do you convert your current system ($$), but you get horrible gas mileage (since ethanol has less energy then gas). This equates to more fill-ups (Sure it may be less $$ for each fill up, but if your filling up more whats the point?) AND THEN you have to find a gas station that even carries it. I would hate to plan a trip and have to work my route around stations that carry E85 (if it was a DD for example).

In my opinion the only real benefit is that your burning something that is better for the earth, it has a high octane rating, AND your spending your money growing the AMERICAN economy, not some other country's... we ALL know we need that right now.. the US dollar is worth nothing anymore.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

E85 is a HIGH octane fuel.......yes it take more fuel to get the same bang.....so to speak.............

It would be real interesting to see how much fuel mileage would be lost with a High compression motor, to work with the E85??????????

I'm sure you would never match the fuel mileage of gas, but it just might surprise you, or me :)

Talking out my butt here, but it would be interesting to test it a Apples to Apples test :cheers:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by FrankZ »

From my local forum...
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthre ... ost1092529

Yes it's long but worth the time.
John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Build a motor to run on it and it will really surprise you, as flash pointed out, it really is a high energy fuel, but to best utilize it's potential, we need more compression and modified fuel maps. Propane makes good power, but not without lots more compression. Diesel fuel makes good power, but not without more compression, we had a old farm tractor that we started on gasoline and then switched over to diesel fuel when it warmed. Could not plow with it on gasoline, could drag another tractor and plow when it was on diesel. Build them for what you want to run on.
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

FrankZ wrote:From my local forum...
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthre ... ost1092529

Yes it's long but worth the time.
Frank, i just skimmed thru that link but, it seamed like every one's vehicle did not like E85 straight........especially when cold.

All fuel injected system have mapping. when it go's into closed loop, the 02 sensor reports how good the ecm is doing is job and changes the fuel trim slight to get back to square.
Say the fuel injectors start to get dirty or lazy, the o2 report to the ecm that there is to much oxigen it the air stream and the ecm commands more fuel.........this happens instantly, if there was a big change, it could take a lot more time to compensate.

IN other word, if the Honda guy wouldn't have add a couple gal. of dino fuel and let it run poorly for a bit, it would have adj.
would this take a hour, a day ..........I don't know.

The flex fuel vehicles out there have basically TWO different mapping charts, One for gas and one for E85. it uses a sensor to detect what fuel it is running.
Here's another question, does are ecm have enough compensation in then to rich-in up enough to run start E85.........we may still have to mix dino fuel in?

Just something to chew on :)

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
John

Post by John »

Isn't the learning curve 50 warm up cycles. After a reset.
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

John wrote:Isn't the learning curve 50 warm up cycles. After a reset.
John
:huh: If it is, then my idea of driving it until it figures it out would be vary frustration at the least :banghead:

Another thing that i just thought of. Basically the 02 sensor is what teaches the ecm what it didn't get right in the first place............Since the ECM never look at 02 until it warmed up, It may never learn the cold fuel curve........................

the time that it take to go into close loop(were the ecm start to us the 02 sence data) could vary, from longer then a hobos lunch (renix) to.................... well the 06 and newer cars will go into close loop in 30 sec.........if it 40*F or higher.

These new cars would probably figure out the cold start...........Were as the renix would all way have to have a mixture of dino fuel with the E85 because it wouldn't be able to change its cold start fuel mapping............then again Renix was way a head of the fuel injection game in....... 1989? :o :lol:

There is no such thing as E85 around here, so i guess i will have to wait untill there is!

Flash

FrankZ
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by FrankZ »

50 cycles to clear an error code. Input from the sensors is acted upon immediately.
John

Post by John »

We were talking about adaptive learning capabilities of the PCM, Chrysler OBDI had a very limited, 50 miles or 10 start/warm up the system was learning and adapting it's control, OBDII is far more complex and adaptive, adjustable MAP sensors work better on OBDI than the newer for example.
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

Yeah know, this stroker is just as hard to get high compression as it is to lower it........alto you can get a perfict quench ;)

I when in the piston FAQ section and used the smallest dish volume piston available, "2229c - Silvolite, 1.581 pin ht, 11.5cc"
Deck the block to get the piston up proud at .003"(above deck)
.043 head gasket and could only get it to 10.78:1
I figures if we could get it up to 11 to 12:1 we could really take advantage of the E85.........
Another thing thats nice about alcohol......or ethanol in this case, is that it runs cooler...........quench is less important and yet it is the best :doh:

I just thought of some thing, if you can dish this piston out to 30 cc then you should be able to shave the top or flat spot down, lowering the dish cc................I realize there is a top ring to consider here.........but there is probably a safety margin there as well?????????
Just might be able to make a 11.0:1 E85 stroker.(would require 2cc drop in dish)
It sure would be interesting to see what kind of power and.......how close you could get to the "gas" mileage with this type of compression ;)

Flash

John

Post by John »

Add Eagle rods to your thoughts and a small turbo?
John
Flash

Post by Flash »

John wrote:Add Eagle rods to your thoughts and a small turbo?
John
MMMmm, yeah Good Thoughts!!!! :cheers: :D

Flash