Girdle

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Girdle

Post by gradon »

I hung out in B-more with some friends yesterday and went mountain biking @ Patapsco Valley and then got a lil wasted off some Dogfishhead 60, chimay red, and a number of Sam Smiths(for me it's the once every 2 or so months let loose kinda thing). Anyhow on the way back to DC, I decided to stop at my favorite JY--Crazy's Rays in Jessup. I was on the prowl for tan armrests(driver's was rigged before I bought it and broke, so I yanked the passenger's and that broke on me last week), a 97+ e-fan, and a main bearing girdle off a 96+. I found the armrests, but no 97+s were there. I found two 96s(1/96, 10/96), one of which had flat tires and was in a big@$$ puddle, so being hung over w/o proper change of clothes, I passed. So I decide to work on the one that was more accessable and took all the oil pan bolts off. Pan hits the steering stabilizer, which will not pop out even with me going to town on it with a lugwrench. I didn't plan this JY trip so I didn't bring the big ball-peen persuader(or sneak my jack in). This jeep is a 4wd, so what else needs to be removed or lifted to get the pan off(I'll check Naxja later)?
Oh yeah, there was a cool old-school Cherokee that was converted to a Panel truck(rear side windows replaced with steel panels and a clean weld job.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Re: Girdle

Post by Muad'Dib »

Even at stock height, all i had to do to get the oil pan out was to have the front of the jeep jacked up so that the axle would "hang" or "droop" towards the ground. I put my jack stands on the LCA's where they meet the frame so that they could still let the axle hang down. After that i just followed the procedure in my haynes that says to drop the pan down, and then pull it out at an angle pulling towards the rear of the Jeep. I also pulled the oil pump out after i got the pan down so that it wouldnt get in the way of the pan pulling back and out.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Re: Girdle

Post by gradon »

Yeah this JY doesn't allow jacks in there and they take all of them out of the vehicles, remove and empty tanks,and torch all cats(need to get the nicer, bigger downpipe from the 96+ for my brother, but they cut off too much pipe--in front of the crossmember, so they're useless). I can tip the CAT operator to move how ever many vehicles out of the way so he can lift the jeep and lay it down on multiple tires so the axle is drooping, but then that $16 girdle(15+dollar entry fee) is gonna cost five or ten more. I'll go back sometime this week with 2 jacks and a big hammer.