99+ intake on <96 HOs

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

99+ intake on <96 HOs

Post by gradon »

When I installed the 99+ intake on my 94, I failed to get a 96+ p/s pump/tensioner from the JY. I used my existing p/s pump and modded the tensioner by drilling a hole on opposite end and reconfigured the bolt to pull the pulley down instead of up. I used a longer belt--6PK215 and the grooved side of the belt rode on the smooth pulley(my brother was gonna send me a grooved pulley, but didn't). This setup, although not ideal, worked for me. Here are some pics of the tensioner:
You can see I used two nuts as washers
mecompco
Noob
Noob

Re: 99+ intake on <96 HOs

Post by mecompco »

Did you notice any power difference with the new intake? I will be swapping a '99 intake w/bored 60mm TB, as well as a Dynomax header/downpipe (to replace cracked OEM mani) at the same time into my '94. I do have a '99+ PS pump and bracket as well--not sure if I have the tensioner--will have to check. I figure if this works well I can swap it over to the stroker in the future.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

It definitely made a difference--probably along the lines of 10hp&lb/ft. You'll notice a big difference since you are replacing header at the same time. Regardless of seat-of-the pants feel, it is a far superior design, having equal length smooth turn runners and a bigger internal volume. I'm in the middle of porting out another one(on mine you can see an etched outline 1/8" around the port and that is what I'm removing to match to gasket) and smoothing out the injector bosses, as you can see they get progressively restrictive towards the middle of the manifold.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

maybe im just over tired but im not sure what part you using there. what pulley is that? the tensioners ive seen are part of the ps pump bracket. maybe a pic under your hood will help. this is your XJ right?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

That was on the 94 that I rolled. I have a 96 now, so the p/s pump bolted right up to the 99 intake. I do not have any pics of the 94 that I know of(2dr 2wd ax15, gray metallic), but my brother might have a pic of it post rollover.