2000 Cherokee blown piston

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
WDC
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.0L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

2000 Cherokee blown piston

Post by WDC »

My question is that my daughter has a 2000 Cherokee all stock 4.0L. It blew cylinder number 2 piston top. It has the 0331 head which seems to be another concern regarding cracking. I am looking into buying an engine from salvage to replace it. I saw a nice 1997 but it uses a regular distributor and not the coil rail. The other engine is a 2004. Both salvage engines are grand Cherokee vehicles. What would be the best option for this problem.
Netpackrat
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: 2000 Cherokee blown piston

Post by Netpackrat »

I don't think the GC blocks are compatible with your XJ. You need a block from either another XJ, or a pre y2k TJ.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Your block casting number should be 53010449
Production years will be between 1999 to 2004
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

Thank you for the responses. So from what I am seeing is that I cannot use a Grand Cherokee 4.0L in the Cherokee (XJ)? What are the differences?
Netpackrat
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Netpackrat »

As I understand it, engine mount locations and stuff like that on the block. TJ originally used the same block as XJ, but once Jeep knew that the XJ was going away, they changed the TJ over to use the Grand Cherokee engine so that after the 2001 model year was done, they would only need to produce one version of the 4.0L. Ran into the issue when I was looking for a core engine to rebuild for my TJ... Could find XJ motors on Craigslist, but it took a while for the TJ/GC version to pop up locally.
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

Ok. I think I am just going do an overhaul. Providing the block is not totally shot. My biggest concern will be damage to the cylinder wall. Thanks again for the help. I have mechanical training and have overhauled many power train components. I am looking forward to this job in order to learn more about this Jeep.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

If you end up doing a straight up overhaul, you might want to look up Dino’s “Mini” Stroker recipe.

For just the upgrade cost of a 3.500 stroke 232 crankshaft you’ll be in the Jeep Stroker club. : )

You’re welcome to hit me up if you need any specifics on the parts.
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

So the update is that #2 cylinder wall is completely destroyed. There is a hole big enough to park a Cadillac in it. Lol. I picked up a supposed 2000 Cherokee engine (unseen) and found out it was the GC. So now I am looking for a block that won’t cost 700.00 plus shipping. My daughter is not interested in a stroker upgrade although I could easily convince her to. But she is on a college budget. So on with the daunting challenge to find the 53010449 block.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Try Kevin at AA Midwest.

(800) 426-8771 ext 212

They are in Las Vegas and put blocks and cylinder heads on pallets for me all the time going out to me in Southern California
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

Thank you. I will give them a holler.
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

I called A&M in Las Vegas and asked for a builder block with casting#53010449 and they said they would look and call me back. I guess they haven’t found one yet. I did find an engine casting#53008405 from a 92 XJ. The block looks to be the same except from some research apparently there some changes made to the webbing for the mains. I am going to proceed with my rebuild. There was a small round tag siliconed to the rear of the engine with the numbers 9163065 on it. What does that represent? Also which head should I use. I know 0331 head is notorious for cracking and the are differences in the ports. I do seriously appreciate all input. Thank you.
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

Sorry it was AA Midwest. Not A&M.
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

After the initial tear down I found the engine is bored .040 over. And the cylinders are not very worn (no lip at the top). However, whoever did the job mixed the rods during assembly so that they do not correspond with the cylinder number. How would you treat this? I am obviously concerned with the integrity of the rest of the job. I want to put it back together the way it should be so my options 1 of 3. 1. Just put them back in the same way I pulled them 2. Remove the factory number from the rod and cap and restamp each one or 3. Remove the piston and swap the rods. I am not happy with any of these but I know the pistons have already broke in to the cylinder they are in. I am going to put new bearings so that won’t matter much. Just concerned about the wrist pins.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I’m assuming you’re working on a .040 donor engine?

Does it matter which Pistons go in which cylinder if the reusing them. Same as rods just as long as you have the correct cap on the original rod that it was mated with.
WDC
Noob
Noob

Post by WDC »

I am sorry to keep bugging but I am still learning the 4.0. The block that I am using is from a 92 XJ and I am going to use the 0331 head so that all of the existing engine connections will remain the same. I want to know if the cam and crank are interchangeable and also if I can install the girdle from the later 2000 onto the 1992. Should I order the rebuild kit for a 92 or 00? Thank you. Again.