Cam Lobes (pic)

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: Cam Lobes (pic)

Post by John »

CWC is one of the OEM producers of camshafts that have been there, done that well for a long time, My guess at this point would be, as the OEM producers of all our 4.0 shafts, they now have the core boxes idle, with the end of factory 4.0's, and would be glad to cast cores for alternate users. I also know how aggressively Chrysler protects, through their lawyers, real and imagined property. Might take some time to clear the bull crap out of the core boxes?
John
amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

i always hoped i could find roller cam stuff for my stroker. i figured there had to be an issue with design for why they havent built it yet. someone should fill that need though, especially with the rising popularity of stroking the 4.0s. on the other hand, with 4.0s out of the dcx lineup, kinda makes sense.....unfortunately.... :(
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Flash

Post by Flash »

amcinstaller wrote:i always hoped i could find roller cam stuff for my stroker. i figured there had to be an issue with design for why they havent built it yet. someone should fill that need though, especially with the rising popularity of stroking the 4.0s. on the other hand, with 4.0s out of the dcx lineup, kinda makes sense.....unfortunately.... :(
I agree, we even started a thread on it here, there's a lot of info about it, and how it could be done.

I can only hope that there is enough interest, some day, to make it happen! :!:

When to look up the page for yeah, and WOW Didn't realize we had that many posts let alone Views :cheers:
Here's the link.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105

Better go fill you coffee/beverage cup first :lol:

Flash.
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

Bear in mind that there isn't contact all the way across the lobe face anyhow - between the taper of the lobe face and the crown of the lifter foot, the contact band is /maybe/ 1/4" wide. You can see it fairly clearly on a used cam under good lighting, as it looks a bit more "polished" than the rest of the face (it's actually "lapped" by the lifter foot - this is why, if you reuse lifters, they have to go /back/ /on/ /the/ /very/ /same/ /lobes/, or in the rubbish bin.)

Still, I know I'd like to see roller cams for the AMC six hit the market - since HESCO finally got the head going (I wonder if we had any part in that? Recall the discussion on the Yahoo! group, which I then printed, assembled, and took to Russ Flagle at Indy Cylinder Heads...) and the fact that HESCO is considering an aftermarket block, and the potential may be there after all. The inline seems to be making some small comeback - Cummins never stopped making one, and Chevvy has re-released it in VORTEC trim for their light trucks...
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I am working on getting a cam for the LSR engine, I thought i could get anything i could dream up, but it turns out the most of the small cam grinders out there use older machines that ae not CNC controlled. They need a Master for each profile. So if they do not have a master with the right duration and lift, then you either pay to have a master made or find something close that they do have. Of course the other option would be to find a company with a CNC grinder and they can make anything you want. I was talking to Crane Cams about doing this, but i just found out that they closed their doors last Friday, so forget about them.

Most grinders have more options for roller cams than flat tappet, but on the Jeep no core exists for a roller cam. I talked to a friend of mine and he said he would make a blank out of 8620, but would need a sample, so i grabbed a 2001 WJ cam and a 76 Cj Cam, the lobes on the CJ cam were much narrower then the 2001 cam, just like the picture at the beginning of the thread. I will have him draw then both up and make me a core. I don't know if I will go with the newer style, i like the thrust bearing, but with the older style you can get a double roller chain. Either way i will go with the wide lobes.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Since it is a custom cam, can't he combine the two designs getting what you want from each?
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1988

Post by laxplayermjd »

Does anybody know if the
Mopar Performance P4529228AB camshaft is thin or wide lobe design?? I would think being a mopar part that is specifically designed for the 4.0 so itd have wide lobes like the Stock cam?
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
Even BMW guys need a toy.
In process 4.6l Renix Build.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Mopar cam's have the wider profile, which is the reason i decided on the 30AB that i was lucky enough to come across
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Mopar cam's have the wider profile, which is the reason i decided on the 30AB that i was lucky enough to come across
Yet another user confirms the wider Mopar lobes:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... 198#p12109
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
Freday2005
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by Freday2005 »

Enginetech now makes 2 cams with wider lobes as replacements. The stock 96-98 ES243 (190°exh/188°int with .414"exh and .408"int lift). As well as the high performance ES1122R cam both have .610" exhaust and .670" intake lobes as verified by Lonnie Townsend from there sales support department