Jeep PCM tuning

Look here for deals on parts from specific vendors!
Primordial
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Che

Re: Jeep PCM tuning

Post by Primordial »

Man I wish I was OBDII...can you do any aftermarket systems? I hate OBDI.
FlyinRyan
I made it to triple digits!

Post by FlyinRyan »

Can you be more specific? I do have Tunerstudio for Megasquirt...
Flyin' Ryan Performance
Rinkrat456
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Rinkrat456 »

Are you still doing mail order tunes? I have HP Tuners for my LS-engine vehicles but at this time I don't think HP Tuners are supporting early Mopar PCM's anymore. My wife and I will be dropping a 4.7L into her '98 XJ and it will need to have the PCM dialed in before the end of the summer. I haven't tried hooking up to the Jeep with my HPT cord yet but I'll try this evening to see what it does. Perhaps I could get you logged data.
Alexia
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Alexia »

Rinkrat456 wrote:Are you still doing mail order tunes? I have HP Tuners for my LS-engine vehicles but at this time I don't think HP Tuners are supporting early Mopar PCM's anymore. My wife and I will be dropping a 4.7L into her '98 XJ and it will need to have the PCM dialed in before the end of the summer. I haven't tried hooking up to the Jeep with my HPT cord yet but I'll try this evening to see what it does. Perhaps I could get you logged data.
He has not emailed me back for two weeks. So, who knows!
Rinkrat456
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Rinkrat456 »

We've been in contact through email today. Try his email if you're looking for a quick response.
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

Alexia wrote:
Rinkrat456 wrote:Are you still doing mail order tunes? I have HP Tuners for my LS-engine vehicles but at this time I don't think HP Tuners are supporting early Mopar PCM's anymore. My wife and I will be dropping a 4.7L into her '98 XJ and it will need to have the PCM dialed in before the end of the summer. I haven't tried hooking up to the Jeep with my HPT cord yet but I'll try this evening to see what it does. Perhaps I could get you logged data.
Unfortunately I'm a one man army and because of word of mouth I have a TON of work. So from time to time there are emails that slip through the cracks. I've replied back to your email.

Rinkrat, HPT's datalogging even is very limited, I doubt it will work on a JTEC vehicle just yet.
Flyin' Ryan Performance
Alexia
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Alexia »

FlyinRyan wrote:
Alexia wrote:
Unfortunately I'm a one man army and because of word of mouth I have a TON of work. So from time to time there are emails that slip through the cracks. I've replied back to your email.

Rinkrat, HPT's datalogging even is very limited, I doubt it will work on a JTEC vehicle just yet.
It is fine, I read about your equipment issues and house move from the other forums out there.
xjjeepcjs
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Chreokee

Post by xjjeepcjs »

FlyingRyan,

I am looking at purchasing a 505 Performance stage 2 kit this week. Would you be able to program my PCM within a week? What is you success rate with first shoot tuning? It is my Daily Driver and I have a newborn is why I ask. Could I just get a second PCM to send you?

CJS
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I wouldn't buy anything from 505. Search on here and other forums and you will see why.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

yup i highly suggest you stay away from 505
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

xjjeepcjs wrote:FlyingRyan,

I am looking at purchasing a 505 Performance stage 2 kit this week. Would you be able to program my PCM within a week? What is you success rate with first shoot tuning? It is my Daily Driver and I have a newborn is why I ask. Could I just get a second PCM to send you?

CJS
Sorry, just saw this:

I don't do "first-shot" tunes except for bolt-on trucks that I have known good calibrations for. All custom tunes require datalogging.

Secondly, STAY AWAY from 505. I've gotten to the point where I wont tune 505 trucks unless I know they've been thoroughly checked out by a competent builder.

I do not do bench flashing, I use the SCT software/hardware only.
Flyin' Ryan Performance
xjjeepcjs
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Chreokee

Post by xjjeepcjs »

FlyinRyan wrote:
Sorry, just saw this:

I don't do "first-shot" tunes except for bolt-on trucks that I have known good calibrations for. All custom tunes require datalogging.

Secondly, STAY AWAY from 505. I've gotten to the point where I wont tune 505 trucks unless I know they've been thoroughly checked out by a competent builder.

I do not do bench flashing, I use the SCT software/hardware only.
I learned the hard way with 505. I hate talking bad about people. I manage large projects for a print shop, and there is now way I would conduct business the way he does. I had already ordered a new head, cam, and roller rockers when I made the first post. I had the 0331 crack and was going to just do those few things. After weeks of waiting and NO cam card. I realized that Clegg Engine and Machine was the better choice. Motor is done and waiting to install. Clegg could do nothing but talk you up sir. I forget the gentleman I talked to, but he basically said you a magician with these things.

I did not have to deck the head. I used the severe duty head gasket to just drop compression the tad it can. Used 505 stage two head, cam, and a set of roller rockers. I went with Clegg's stage 3 with the Scat rods and 24# injectors. Bank torque tube header and that's it for now.

That is where I am at. Complete BALL of nerves right now hoping I did it all right and my numbers are spot on. I am a industrial equipment mechanic and machinist, but doing your own vehicle and spend the cash I did has my nerves boucing. Hope you all can help if something is out of sync.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

I'll be contacting FlyinRyan eventually…. I am going with an OBDII setup not MS at this time. I scored with a 2000 WJ wrecker for $300 this last week for an entire Jeep. So, I have my donor and will be pulling it apart. Holset HY35W being rebuilt and VSR balanced and custom exhaust eventually installed (as budget permits) and then tune shall be following with Fly'n Ryan.

/cheers
Brian
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

Hi,

I don't really frequent forums much anymore, but because this particular thread has received so many views through the years, I feel it is due for an update. (I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to edit my original post)

Quite a bit has changed- I now have SCT software that covers 1996-2016 model year vehicles, and HPTuners which covers 2004-2016 vehicles.

SCT Pricing as of April 2016 is as follows:
Canned tunes for stock/bolt on vehicles: 399.99
Custom NA tuning for Strokers, Heads/Cam applications: 599.99 (subject to handheld being used)
Custom Forced Induction tuning for SC/Turbo Applications: 699.99 (subject to handheld being used)

HPT pricing is as follows: (Requires your own interface or in-person work by appointment only)
Canned tunes: 199.99
Custom NA tuning: 299.99 + dyno time
Custom Boosted tuning: 399.99 + dyno time

No datalogger is needed anymore, however a wideband is mandatory for custom tuning unless the vehicle can be brought to me (Houston, TX area) for dyno tuning by appointment.

I also have a new email address, it is [email protected] . I will be keeping my old email address but gradually phasing it out.
I have a brand new website, www.frptuning.com , it is under construction but it is functional. I intend on adding more content here in the next week or two as time allows.
I also have a Facebook group! It is under "Flyin' Ryan Performance" . Those of you that have joined the 21st century by embracing social media, I encourage you to check it out.
I will be rolling out a FRP-specific Instagram and Youtube as well.
Flyin' Ryan Performance
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

That's great no more datalogging. Are you at a shop with a dyno now?