Jeep PCM tuning

Look here for deals on parts from specific vendors!
FlyinRyan
I made it to triple digits!

Jeep PCM tuning

Post by FlyinRyan »

Hello,

New to the forums, but not to Jeeps. I specialize in custom PCM tuning for OBDII Chrysler vehicles (96-06) using SCT Advantage III software. This includes but is not limited to the 4.0 I6. (4.7 V8, 318/360 Mag motors, Hemi, 3.7 V6, etc)

I mostly tune via Email, although in-person appointments can be made for extra $$$$. With proper datalogging I can custom tune your vehicle from thousands of miles away, sight unseen.

I know this crowd likes to tune via Map adjusters, larger injectors and the stock tune but I can go into the stock PCM and change things that no MAP adjuster ever will.

My tunes typically include the following:
Full VE tuning (will take a few revisions to get it dialed in, every setup is different)
Injector changes ( A MUST for any non-OEM injector swap)
Custom spark map for a setup and given octane availability
Stepped enrichment fueling for max torque under heavy load
Open Loop fueling delays where applicable
Torque Management removal
Idle speed changes as per customer request
Fan control

And the list goes on.

Please email me at [email protected] or contact me by my cell at 732 539 9614 for more details.
Flyin' Ryan Performance
troy5118
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Jeep PCM tuning

Post by troy5118 »

Great to hear. I'm starting my stroker build (winter project) and the one thing that I wasn't happy about was the inability to tune it. I was looking at going with a fairly conservative cam profile so the OBDII would play nice in my 1996 Cherokee. I read you've done several strokers do you have some links to builds to give me an idea what I can do with a real tune? I was even considering Mega Squirt 3 since it is supposed to be compatible but haven't seen any builds yet.. Thoughts on it?

Thanks,
Troy
92tank
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by 92tank »

Can you do anything with the older HO computer systems or not?
JolleyRoger
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6?
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Grand

Post by JolleyRoger »

I'm in, we'll talk soon.
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

troy5118 wrote:Great to hear. I'm starting my stroker build (winter project) and the one thing that I wasn't happy about was the inability to tune it. I was looking at going with a fairly conservative cam profile so the OBDII would play nice in my 1996 Cherokee. I read you've done several strokers do you have some links to builds to give me an idea what I can do with a real tune? I was even considering Mega Squirt 3 since it is supposed to be compatible but haven't seen any builds yet.. Thoughts on it?

Thanks,
Troy
Troy-
The majority of the I6 strokers I have tuned are owned by folks that are not active on the forums . The gnarliest one I've done to date is Rob aka Superstingray77's 4.7 WJ stroker with a monster camshaft (236/240 duration or so). This was after I think 1 revision. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yEyAk0VDww (sorry, don't know how to post youtube videos ). His comments after the first few revisions are below:

"So... many of you guys have likely come across my threads here, and thanks everyone on this thread my second stroker came out awesome... My first tuner who I will not name here tried 8 tunes in open loop to get this engine to run right. It ran like crap with non-linear mixtures, unstable idle, surging, stalling, crappy cold starts I was just fed up with all of it to the point it had just sucked the joy out of my project. I finally resorted to putting the stock tune back on and using the MAP adjuster to get the WOT close to 13.1 and just let the PCM control the rest. It ran Ok, idled alright and got decent mileage but I knew it just was not there different loads and throttle ranges had more power than the others, hard to explain but the power curve just was not consistent and linear despite what you may see on the wideband.

I can go on and on about the difference this made to my truck. Having someone who understands this JTEC PCM and can make it do what we need to match the awesome builds on this forum is worth more than I can surmise in my long winded post.

Ryan has built me 4 files since last night and using my feedback from my Innovate LM2 datalogger he has made improvements that I frankly didnt even think were possible, and were not even close to done, taking baby steps and making certain everything lines up and one change does not negatively affect another area etc. Guys who have cammed up OBD-II setups and have not properly tuned it, give up on timing / map adjusters your barely scratching the surface of what can be done."

Other comments from owners whose trucks I've tuned (Strokers and otherwise)
"In regards to the tune, all i can say is wow!!! I had no idea my jeep could run so good i mean its incredible! More power, throttle response and shifts so much better. All you out there with the 3.7 this is a must do theres so much hidden in our wk and Ryan is the way to go to uncover the beast in the v6. Next ill be ordering one of his TB. Thanks Ryan you rock!!!"

""I have to say this is the best customer service ever . I have 91 plus emails with suggestions and progress reports on both the tuning and the 2- Throttle bodys we bought .( one for a xk 4.7 and one for a 5.7 hemi WK) . Ryan is truly a class act. He took the time to explain everything to me as to what he needed for the tune. ( a task in it self,lol)
With the tuner I definitely saw a pick up in Throttle response and general Responsiveness. I look forward to install the throttle body -Thanks"

"Finally after getting some logistics worked out I am running the tuner. LOVE IT!! I struggled getting some of the data logs at first but since I got that figured out with the ever patient help from Ryan I have received some updated tunes and they get better every time. Can't wait to try out the newest tunes tomorrow.
Ryan has amazing customer service and really knows what he is doing. Huge difference in the jeep from just the tune.
Thanks for everything Ryan!"

"I suggest contacting flryinryan, he has been doing all of my tunes. He is by FAR, the best person I have worked with when tuning!"

Most of these can be found on jeepgarage.org .

Can you do anything with the older HO computer systems or not?
No, can't touch OBDI/Renix. Sorry.
I'm in, we'll talk soon.
Looking forward to it. :cheers:
Flyin' Ryan Performance
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by CobraMarty »

OK, how about a stock tune? What can you do? Better mileage, more power. 87 octane. '98 4.0L, CAI, bored TB, cat back exhaust.
I can send you my ecu or do I need to buy a handheld to get the emailed program and to load the program to the jeep?
Can you change the VIN on the ECU?
How much?
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

CobraMarty wrote:OK, how about a stock tune? What can you do? Better mileage, more power. 87 octane. '98 4.0L, CAI, bored TB, cat back exhaust.
I can send you my ecu or do I need to buy a handheld to get the emailed program and to load the program to the jeep?
Can you change the VIN on the ECU?
How much?
I've done 87 octane tunes before, but not for an 4.0 I6. I can usually extract some power out of it, and some mileage. When you have alot of weight, etc in the form of lift, heavy tires, etc, it doesn't allow for as much timing etc as something lighter, with less rotational mass. What's this in your sig about a SC and meth injection though????

You'd need to buy a handheld. 375.00 buys you a new handheld and unlimited N/A tunes. Meaning, revisions and re-tunes are no additional cost. You pay one fee, up front, and thats it.

I can change alot of things as far as the config of the PCM but the VIN is a dealer-only item.
A datalogger (Innovate LM2 3806 is my preferred tool of choice, but in a pinch I can tune most of the map using fuel trims a la Torque app for Android, etc) is highly recommended for best results.)
Flyin' Ryan Performance
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED

Post by CobraMarty »

This would be for my 2nd Jeep XJ. It is N/A stock 4.0 with CAI,TB,cat back,33" tires,4.56 gears,bumbers,winch,sliders,spare. Yeah so it is a bit heavier than stock. It came with a JET ecu plug in chip/module-not sure what it is really doing.
The reason for the VIN change is b/c I have a few extra ecu's.

My supercharged Jeep uses a piggyback to control a 7th injector, MAP clamp, open loop, and timing retard and a separate progressive controller for the Meth which also only comes on when in boost.. This handles the extra/additional fuel and cooling needed when in boost only. When not in boost, it operates as completely stock- stock ecu, sensors, injectors, cold start, etc. So when not in boost and operating in N/A- an ecu tune would make it run 'better' when operating in closed loop.
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

The JET is junk. Ditch it. If that's your baseline, I can improve on that.

Piggybacks make me cringe as they rarely work well, especially on apps that have dry intake manifolds. For boosted setups, I can also set up the PCM for a 2 bar MAP with bigger injectors, eliminating the need to clamp the map, etc.
CobraMarty wrote:This would be for my 2nd Jeep XJ. It is N/A stock 4.0 with CAI,TB,cat back,33" tires,4.56 gears,bumbers,winch,sliders,spare. Yeah so it is a bit heavier than stock. It came with a JET ecu plug in chip/module-not sure what it is really doing.
The reason for the VIN change is b/c I have a few extra ecu's.

My supercharged Jeep uses a piggyback to control a 7th injector, MAP clamp, open loop, and timing retard and a separate progressive controller for the Meth which also only comes on when in boost.. This handles the extra/additional fuel and cooling needed when in boost only. When not in boost, it operates as completely stock- stock ecu, sensors, injectors, cold start, etc. So when not in boost and operating in N/A- an ecu tune would make it run 'better' when operating in closed loop.
Flyin' Ryan Performance
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

so do people send you their computers or are you using something like efi live and just email the new program? i'm seriously considering getting an obd2 computer and harness to put in my 88 cherokee. what computer year is the best/easiest to program?
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

shawnxj wrote:so do people send you their computers or are you using something like efi live and just email the new program? i'm seriously considering getting an obd2 computer and harness to put in my 88 cherokee. what computer year is the best/easiest to program?
I am doing email tuning- this is mentioned in the first post. They are mostly all the time in their capability.
Flyin' Ryan Performance
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

so what software are you using? do i need to buy hptuners,efi live or what to install your tune and datalog for corrections?
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

shawnxj wrote:so what software are you using? do i need to buy hptuners,efi live or what to install your tune and datalog for corrections?
As mentioned in the first post, I am using SCT Advantage III software. A datalogger is something that is purchased separately as the DCX SCT hardware is not capable of datalogging.
Flyin' Ryan Performance
agrant
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by agrant »

For anybody thinking about getting a tune from Ryan, don't hesitate! He has been tuning mine for about three months now. I have went through several small modifications to my stroker and he has been more than willing to squeeze every bit of torque and hp as possible. The difference before and after tuning are night and day. Driveability is greatly improved also. Ryan is also a super nice guy. He always gets a new revision out to me extremely fast.
FlyinRyan

Post by FlyinRyan »

agrant wrote:For anybody thinking about getting a tune from Ryan, don't hesitate! He has been tuning mine for about three months now. I have went through several small modifications to my stroker and he has been more than willing to squeeze every bit of torque and hp as possible. The difference before and after tuning are night and day. Driveability is greatly improved also. Ryan is also a super nice guy. He always gets a new revision out to me extremely fast.
Thanks Austin.

I also have a cheaper datalogger solution for those of you with AEM or similiar widebands.....contact me for more details.
Flyin' Ryan Performance