Forum Changes Coming Soon

Check here before you check anywhere else!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Forum Changes Coming Soon

Post by Muad'Dib »

Hello everyone.

To be honest I have neglected this forum for some time now. Its time to focus on it again and get it up to snuff.

I'm currently working on two major things:

1.) Upgrade the forum software to the latest version.
2.) Update the forum to utilize SSL.

SSL just makes sense for ensuring credentials are encrypted so that's a no brainer. However upgrading the forum software is a bigger deal. Unfortunately the upgrade will cause all the customizations that I have done over time to go away so really it will be a "default" install. Don't worry all the content will stay however the look of the forum will change a bit. My plan is to get it upgraded to the latest version and using SSL as phase 1. I will release it back to you all for use and then start working on customizations again as another phase.

Hopefully this makes sense. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

PS The new forum software allows for mobile viewing much better than it does today :D

Thanks!
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Forum Changes Coming Soon

Post by jsawduste »

Don't forget to set the quench to at least .000.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Well for as much testing as I did beforehand I wasn't expecting there to be many problems with doing the cutover.. boy was I wrong!

I had to restore the database from a backup on the 20th.. so any posts and replies that were made since then are gone :( I don't think there were too many but regardless it sucks.

Otherwise, we are now on the latest version using HTTPS.. and all the existing HTTP links should be redirecting correctly. Additionally I made sure to migrate the calculator and cheepjeep sites so they are all working too.

As always let me know if you run into anything strange etc. More to come!

PS. Let me know what you think of the new mobile view!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

So far i'm not liking the change on my Mobile.
The main complaint I have and may be from my lack of understanding, is I have no way of knowing when somebody has posted up a new response on a thread

The previous format you could see the day and time of the last posting.

If I'm technically challenged and I missing something please fill me in.

Thanks
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

If its critical to be notified when someone replies to a post of yours, I suggest to "subscribe" to that particular thread or set of threads. You can do this by selecting the checkbox "Notify me when a reply is posted".

Otherwise, any forum or topic that has unread posts will have its text changed to red. Once you drill down into a forum (for example "Stroker Basics") then you will see the last post by and time of the last post. *EDIT* I also found on mobile that if you rotate horizontally you can see this information on the homepage without having to actually drill down into a forum.

Another option may be to use the "Quick Links" in the upper left and select "Your Posts".

Does that help?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

It does.
Thanks for the schooling.
:D
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

Where did the RSS feed go to?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

The RSS feed as well as a lot of the other customizations are gone since they couldn't be easily migrated. I am looking into things to add back as time allows. For now though I'm letting everything bake to make sure nothing critical is missed.
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

When you post to a thread, it looks like it automatically subscribes you to that thread. That's good.

I wish there was a tab at the top for 'New Posts' and 'Subscribed threads' without having to click 'Quick links'. That would be helpful.
JeepsAndGuns
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Muad'Dib wrote: I had to restore the database from a backup on the 20th.. so any posts and replies that were made since then are gone :( I don't think there were too many but regardless it sucks.
Well crap. I just noticed my writeup I made on removing rust from my water jacket is now gone.
I can't remember what all I put in that thread and I'm not sure when I will have enough time to do it over again. Oh well.

Something strange, on my screen anyways, the forum is very narrow. There are two wide white strips on each side of the screen. Is there any way to fix this? I tried to look through the user CP but I either overlooked it or there isn't one. I am using google chrome if it matters.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

JeepsAndGuns wrote:Something strange, on my screen anyways, the forum is very narrow. There are two wide white strips on each side of the screen. Is there any way to fix this? I tried to look through the user CP but I either overlooked it or there isn't one. I am using google chrome if it matters.
Hold down the Ctrl key and hit the + key once or twice and it should fill up the screen.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
BADASYJ
I made it to triple digits!

Post by BADASYJ »

In the forum topics it does not state who originally started a topic only the one who last replied. Is there a way to see the original poster?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

BADASYJ wrote:In the forum topics it does not state who originally started a topic only the one who last replied. Is there a way to see the original poster?
I don't think this is anything new. Unless of course I never noticed something before...

The first poster in the topic is always the author of the first post in that topic.
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

[/quote]The first poster in the topic is always the author of the first post in that topic.[/quote]

I understand that. I could be wrong but I thought before you could see who's thread it was as well as who the last post was from. It would be nice to see who originally started a thread.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Yeah, even looking at the demo of the older version I don't see anything like what you are referring to. The View Topic and View Forum pages always showed the "Last Post" Header along with the last poster listed with the time of that last post.