Picture resizing.

Check here before you check anywhere else!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Picture resizing.

Post by Muad'Dib »

I once again changed the way pictures get resized on this forum. I deleted the previous thread talking about it, and have created this one..

Javascript is required to be enabled for this to work.
Here is an example image that should get resized: (its big give it time to load)

Now look at the upper left hand corner of the image. There should be an icon that looks like a magnifying glass with a plus sign in it. By now, most of you should know this is pretty much the universal sign for Zoom In.
If you put your mouse over this icon, it will show you the original dimensions of the image.
If you click the icon, the image will blow up to fit your screen natively. Which means it wont open up in another browser window or tab... it will just fill your browser window.
Once the image gets blown up to your screen size / resolution, if you look at the right hand side of the image you will see an icon that looks like a magnifying glass with a negative sign in it. This obviously means if you click the icon, the image will fade out of your screen, and bring you back to the forum page that you were looking at.
You can also click anywhere on the image, and or press the Escape key once the image is blown up to get back to the page your were looking at.

Another nice feature of this is that the images wont show large and then get small. The mod waits till the image has loaded and has been resized before it will show it.

Please tell me what you think, and if you like this behavior.
Also, please inform me of any bugs you encounter.

Thanks for your time.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Re: Picture resizing.

Post by Muad'Dib »

Is this still agreed to be the desired behavior for large images?
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Actually i prefer the "Place holder" method that reserves the space for the size of the image even if it hasn't loaded yet. I find that when using a slower connection (or even any connection), trying to read any post lower then the posted pictures, is a nuisance when one image at a time loads, as it generally purges what you are currently reading off the screen and requires you to scroll back down to get to it. Some particular threads (like my build thread) have lots of pictures and requires continued scrolling while each picture snaps in seperately.

Just my .02
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Actually i prefer the "Place holder" method that reserves the space for the size of the image even if it hasn't loaded yet. I find that when using a slower connection (or even any connection), trying to read any post lower then the posted pictures, is a nuisance when one image at a time loads, as it generally purges what you are currently reading off the screen and requires you to scroll back down to get to it. Some particular threads (like my build thread) have lots of pictures and requires continued scrolling while each picture snaps in seperately.

Just my .02
After trying to find the best way to accomplish this, i think i have come to a fairly decent way of making that happen.

Now some space is reserved for the image before it gets resized. However, once the image fully loads, the resize action will take place and it will still move everything around a bit.

The problem is that there is no way to calculate each persons browser window size and compare that with the image size to make it reserve only the amount of space it actually needs for the image. So i just made the space have a fixed height (Fairly small at 480px) and auto width... then once the space is filled with the image, the image is resized like before to fill all available width depending on your browser size (height is scaled accordingly).

Anybody and everybody please test, and let me know how it works for you.
JimM
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by JimM »

Hi guys. I'm new here and somehow got drawn into this, mostly because I like forums with lots of pictures.

I also run a phpbb forum http://www.firstgens.com about firstgeneration camaros.

We use the same mod you do ( reimg ) to handle "linked" pics, such as those from photobucket and such, and it works well, but...

For "Attached" pics, those that are directly uploaded from the members computer to the site (do you guys host pics? I didn't check that) I found another nifty tool. It's not an official supported phpbb3 mod, but it'as easy to put in and works great.

"server side resize" lets the site owner set the desired picture size in the ACP, and it resizes attached pictures on the fly, as they are uploaded. That means only the guy putting up the picture has to wait for it, the stored size on your webserver is small, and when someone views the post, it downloads quick.

Send me an email or a pm if you want the code / instructions.

We also have one that shows the first 150 characters of a thread when you mouse over it in the list, very handy.

Now back to learning how to stroke my 2000 4.0 :D