Post Subject Checking

Check here before you check anywhere else!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post Subject Checking

Post by Muad'Dib »

I just added a new modification to this forum.

When you create a new post it checks to see if the subject of the post your trying to create is similar to another post that has been already made on the forum. It does this right after you type the subject into the subject field.

Here is an example:

As you can see it outputs a list of topics for you automatically. This way you can click the link to the topic and start reading.

This acts sort of like the search feature of the board. If your a newb... or just plain forgot to seach before you started to post then this hopefully will help you out.

As always any comments and or suggestions are extremely appreciated.

Thanks!
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Post Subject Checking

Post by Flash »

Muad'Dib,.........good idea, I like it :cheers:
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

Honestly I find this feature damned annoying. As shown in your screenshot the message body text-box is pushed far down below the formatting tools and smilies. When I post I have got 40+ subjects pop up, some of which have no relevance to what I'm posting. This sucks on my Acer Aspire One with a screen resolution of 1024x600 because I have to do a lot of scrolling to see the formatting buttons and smilies. Just check out your screenshot, and then triple the number of results and you'll see how far down the message body text-box can appear.

This screenshot illustrates my point when starting my build thread yesterday. Take out the one thread titled "PolloLoco's E85 High-Compression Build" and you'll see all the crap that came up when I entered my unique build-thread title.
Clipboard02.gif
My recommendations:
Limit the number of results.
Use two or three columns to take up less vertical space.
Make the results appear immediately below the subject text-box, above the formatting tools.
Limit the search function to search the titles only to limit irrelevant threads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Thanks for your comments ..

Your right it makes no since that it pushes down the posting area.. but not the formatting tools and smilies. This is fixed now.

As far as the results ... ill see what i can do to make it a little more accurate.. It may take some time though.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Ok, so the only way to accomplish the desired result with this mod is to keep the way it searches alone.

When you type a subject into the "Subject" field of the post, this modification checks every word in your subject and outputs all the posts that contain those words in the subject.

So using your example PolloLoco you have some pretty common words in your subject thats why your results list is so long... If say you just typed "E85" your list would be much shorter.

I can make it "strict" so that when the modification does its magic it only gives you results if the subject you typed is the exact same as another subject on the forum. However, this is not a desired result because how often does someone type in the same subject as another post?

I think the way it works now is fine. Especially now that it moves everything down properly instead of just the text area like before. Sure some results have no revelence .. but thats the point .. to help the user look around (aka search) and see if the questions have been answered already before or not.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

Just changing the position of it helps a lot, the rest of what I said was just me bitching. Thanks for the fix! :cheers:
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Ok, so after the update to the new board version, i have removed this modification.

Can you guys tell me if you want it back or not? Or was it more annoying then what it was worth?

Thanks!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Sometimes it was helpful. It didn't bother me either way
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

No one seems interested so I am closing this one out.