Google Feedfetcher

Check here for most things forum related... NOT stroker related!
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Google Feedfetcher

Post by PolloLoco »

I was looking to see who's online and I saw Google Feedfetcher as a registered user. Is that what allows Google to know a post count, authors, and last post date of a thread? I see other forums show these results too. I always wondered how Google knew all this stuff.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Google Feedfetcher

Post by Muad'Dib »

PolloLoco wrote:I was looking to see who's online and I saw Google Feedfetcher as a registered user. Is that what allows Google to know a post count, authors, and last post date of a thread? I see other forums show these results too. I always wondered how Google knew all this stuff.

Google [Bot] is what your thinking of.. but they are both in the same "bot" group. The feedfetcher is basically a RSS feed reader. That "Bot" group gives them special read only permissions on the board. It allows us to show up in different search results etc. They are Search bots aka Web Crawlers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_bot
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!