Calculator...

Check here for most things forum related... NOT stroker related!
lazybaka
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: Calculator...

Post by lazybaka »

A question about the calculator, the OEM camshaft (non renix) says 1999-2004 is there a option for the 91-99 camshaft ? or is that just a typo ?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

I dont think its clear yet if the cam specs are the same for that year range or not. If it is, then ill change the year range to reflect it... if not then i will need to proper information so that people can use that cam for their calculations.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
lazybaka
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by lazybaka »

I have a fsm from 97 would you like a pdf of the page with the cam specs posted here ?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I have been teaching myself visual basic 2010, and i have written a few programs for my current Employer now. Im feeling more and more comfortable with designing smaller programs.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in having our calculator available as a application you could run from your computer?

Thanks!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I would.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I finally found the math for calculating SCR/DCR when taking into consideration altitude. Do you guys want to see this in the calculator? The way it would be implemented would be another input field for altitude, and if you enter nothing.. then the calculations will assume sea level (which is the way the calculator currently works).

Altitude actually has quite an impact on compression! My 4.7 is 8.5DCR at sea level, but at my altitude (3600 ft) it actually drops to 7.78!
GoMopar440
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by GoMopar440 »

That would actually be awesome for me. I live at 5K ASL and have been as high as 14K (Pikes Peak). It'd be nice to dial in the build caculations for my altitude.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Calculator now takes into account Altitude if you enter a value into the field. Otherwise it assumes Sea Level and calculates the same way it did before this feature was added.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

Muad'Dib YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!

i CAN'T SAY THIS ENOUGH!!!!!!!

JEEP STROKERS HAS THE BEST COMPRESSION CALCULATOR ON THE NET NOW Period.!!!!!!!

There is only one other place on the net that has altitude compensation for DCR, and you have to down load it to make it work. And down load other stuff as well to make it work!
although i was using it today, for my 340 stroker build, (408) it help me out a lot.

i thing my 12.23:1 compression just might, run on 91 octane here at 6800 feet. Altitude compensating DCR is at 8.8.

I was shooting for 11.5:1 and when it came out to 12.23.......I was a little bit worried! Yes i will be running racing gas at the track but i should be able to run it on the street with a little bit shy on timing. My quench is at .037" :hrhr:

Once again YOU and EVERY ONE on the forum ROCK!!!!!!
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Long time no see! Where did you go to?
Flash

Post by Flash »

I had to Remember my pass word to begin with. :D

My 20+ year old 340 started to us oil and loose power, 3 years ago. Hope to have my new stroker motor in this year, and debuged.

Then i will be back to start retiring my 345,000 mile 4.0L for a stroker. it has a lifter tic that comes and goes, still runs strong, scared to pull it apart. :P
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Just bumping this to possibly bring up a discussion on how altitude effects SCR/DCR. Here is a response to one of the posts for reference:
Muad'DIb wrote:We may want to have a discussion about altitudes effect on compression. If you intend to completely take into effect altitude, then you are changing from a static numbers point of view to an effective compression point of view. That being said, if you want to take into account altitude, it will change your effective SCR as well as your DCR. This means that you can get away with a higher number at a higher altitude. Another way to think about it is about the air that's actually being pulled into the engine. If the air is less dense, then the air being pulled into the engine will be less dense and compression will not be as much. You can validate this by doing cylinder compression tests. If you do them at a higher altitude they will be lower than they would be at sea level.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

As a clarification to the above, I am not saying that Altitude actually changes the hard numbers. The compression ratio itself does not change; however if you want to see what effect altitude has on the hard numbers themselves then that's where the altitude field come into play.

When you enter an altitude in the calculator it changes the output to be how the altitude effects the compression. This is not really your compression ratio, but it is what compression ratio your engine is essentially running at with the less \ more dense air in your environment.

I call it the Nefario principle.. I came up with it right now actually..

All joking aside, hopefully that makes more sense.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Obviously this was confusing for people and its not spelled out anywhere. So to prevent confusion I updated the calculator to have another field that is called DCR @ Altitude. This field is the only field that is updated if Altitude is used; The primary SCR and DCR fields remains unchanged if altitude has been inputted.

Thanks.
cal
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.71

Post by cal »

I don't know if you still work on the calculator at all..

But maybe add the Comp 235-4, and the Russ variations on the Comp cams?