Suggestions

Check here for most things forum related... NOT stroker related!
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Suggestions

Post by Flash »

John wrote:Thanks for the big old hoss. Now where is Flash.
John
Here i am :stick:
Are ya Ready to encourage someone to :deadhorse: Hold on! Let me get a little stretch in :wiggle: OK I"M
READY :hrhr:

Nice addition to the smiles, by the way :slobber:
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Flash

Post by Flash »

I thing that the FAQ section should be easier to find.....and we have two FAQ/FAQ's sections?????? this one: faq.php and this one: viewforum.php?f=27

I would suggest that the 2nt one should be close to the top for the page in Stroker & Performance Tech as it is in Stroker Basics. after all, these FAQ's get deeper then just basics.

It would be nice to point a noob in the right direction, then to post up a link......that still won't show him/her were it can be found the next time.

Personally i thing it should be in the upper tool bar right next to the other FAQ. aka FAQ(site facts, and FAQ's (stroker Facts)
So no matter what post you are replaying too you can direct then to the top of the page and Click on the FAQ's section

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

Flash wrote:I thing that the FAQ section should be easier to find.....and we have two FAQ/FAQ's sections?????? this one: faq.php and this one: viewforum.php?f=27

I would suggest that the 2nt one should be close to the top for the page in Stroker & Performance Tech as it is in Stroker Basics. after all, these FAQ's get deeper then just basics.

It would be nice to point a noob in the right direction, then to post up a link......that still won't show him/her were it can be found the next time.

Personally i thing it should be in the upper tool bar right next to the other FAQ. aka FAQ(site facts, and FAQ's (stroker Facts)
So no matter what post you are replaying too you can direct then to the top of the page and Click on the FAQ's section

Flash

Awhile back, i created a Global Announcement \ Sticky that you should see when viewing every single forum. This Post gives everyone the correct information and guides them to the Stroker FAQ section.

Did you not notice this, or do you not think it is enough??
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Flash

Post by Flash »

:doh: OK I'm Blind. see it, look good :oops:

Flash

5-90
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

Unless I'm missing it, how about a button/link that will show you new threads that have started since you were last here, or threads with replies after yours? I have to admit - I am getting in the habit of checking several Jeep boards now, but this is the only one that doesn't have that little dingus available (that I've been able to see, anyhow.)

Everywhere else, I can click "New ****" and see if anything has come up that I may be interested in. Here, I end up having to trawl through the various fori, and I know I'm going to miss a few things that way...

Is that a feature available in this software as well? I think all of the other fori I've seen it in have been vBulletin...
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

5-90 wrote:Unless I'm missing it, how about a button/link that will show you new threads that have started since you were last here, or threads with replies after yours? I have to admit - I am getting in the habit of checking several Jeep boards now, but this is the only one that doesn't have that little dingus available (that I've been able to see, anyhow.)

Everywhere else, I can click "New ****" and see if anything has come up that I may be interested in. Here, I end up having to trawl through the various fori, and I know I'm going to miss a few things that way...

Is that a feature available in this software as well? I think all of the other fori I've seen it in have been vBulletin...
If you look at the top of the homepage, right before it lists the categories, it should show these three options:

Code: Select all

View unanswered posts • View new posts • View active topics
You will only see these options on the homepage.

However, you should see this option on every page to the right of "User Control Panel"

View your posts
Those should be what your looking for ;)
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
5-90

Post by 5-90 »

Muad'Dib wrote:If you look at the top of the homepage, right before it lists the categories, it should show these three options:

D'oh! Found those, once you'd brought my attention to them...
Muad'Dib wrote:However, you should see this option on every page to the right of "User Control Panel"

View your posts
Not so much. More just a "what's happened since I was here last" than anything else. PHP probably impements it differently than vBulletin, then... I'll play around with it all and see if there's an approach to it that I like.

Something else I was sort of wondering about - I take it the post headers with the lighter colour (on the individual forum listings) are the ones where I've actually posted, as opposed to the darker ones? This is referring to the default colour scheme - light blue vice dark blue. I figure that's what it is, but I wanted to make sure.
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
ARH
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by ARH »

How about an overview of which sub-forum the posts under "view new posts" belong to?
'86 XJ - 150/AX5/207 - RIP
'91 XJ - 242/AW4/242 - RIP
'88 XJ - 242/BA10/231
'93 ZJ - 318/46RH/242
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

5-90 wrote:
Muad'Dib wrote:If you look at the top of the homepage, right before it lists the categories, it should show these three options:

D'oh! Found those, once you'd brought my attention to them...
Muad'Dib wrote:However, you should see this option on every page to the right of "User Control Panel"

View your posts
Not so much. More just a "what's happened since I was here last" than anything else. PHP probably impements it differently than vBulletin, then... I'll play around with it all and see if there's an approach to it that I like.

Something else I was sort of wondering about - I take it the post headers with the lighter colour (on the individual forum listings) are the ones where I've actually posted, as opposed to the darker ones? This is referring to the default colour scheme - light blue vice dark blue. I figure that's what it is, but I wanted to make sure.
If your viewing a page full of posts, any posts you have not yet read will be displayed in a darker color. If your viewing a category (like on the homepage for example), any category that has unread posts beneath it will also be a darker color. Not only that, but each icon will be red instead of blue if it has unread posts.

If your looking for "whats happened since i was last here" kind of thing, than either watching the colors change, or pressing "View New Posts" should do it. Either that, or im not understanding you correctly.

If your trying to figure out who has replied to a topic that you have also replied to, than the best way to do that would be to check the box that says "Notify me when a reply is posted". You will see this option in the "options" area below where you type your reply.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

ARH wrote:How about an overview of which sub-forum the posts under "view new posts" belong to?
This already happens.

When viewing the "View New Posts" page, you will see all the new posts listed. The top line will have the name of the post. Below that line it will show you who posted it, at what time and in what category.

Here is an example:

Suggestions 
by Muad'Dib » February 11th, 2008, 4:35 pm in General Board Discussion
Screen Shot:

amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

suggestions??

Post by amcinstaller »

i was thinkin after reading soo many great posts with plenty of information that pertained exactly to the original question (and a few that missed the mark), i was thinkin it would be nice to see a system of reputation points on here. ive seen on some forums that could be compared to the wild west and the rep was a positive negative scale, and people have been flamed back to the stone age and had about -45 points after one ignorant post. THIS ISNT WHAT IM HOPING FOR. but rather, on another site, they have a positive only rep scale, where you can add points to a member who has helped you. i think it would be a nice way to say thanks to those who spend time here, and answer all of the n00b questions patiently, and also take time to do a little footwork to help troubleshoot the really hard ones! i know theres alot of people like that here, and itd be nice to be able to recognize them accordingly.

alternatively, maybe a section for threads to let everyone know whos helped who, and to give a quick thanks!
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Re: suggestions??

Post by Mgardiner1 »

definitely could see some hard feelings over a "member rating system"

for the most part, people seem to thank each other around here, especially in the project threads. I know i called out a few names of people who had directly helped me in my stroker build
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I think a "thanks" mod might work ok .. but not something that has a reputation system.

This way we would avoid a positive / negative rating and just show "username" has been thanked 10 times (or however many times he has..).

What does everyone else think?
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

It would definitely show who was helpful and better help the newbarians. One thing Ive noticed, and I know other people here have, is that we dont stray too far from the heart of the site. We come here for info, we get/give it, and go back to the garage/ebay. There isnt a whole lot of frivolous banter going on here, so a positive negative system might not get abused. A positive only system would definitely prevent any abuse though. I think it would be a helpful feature.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

Muad'Dib wrote:I think a "thanks" mod might work ok .. but not something that has a reputation system.

This way we would avoid a positive / negative rating and just show "username" has been thanked 10 times (or however many times he has..).

What does everyone else think?
that was what i was after. keep the negatives out, and keep the positive atmosphere that has been setup here. just a little bit in the avatar area with a number of happy faces or whatever the decided unit would be. again, im AGAINST negative rep, especially in a small forum like this one!

for example:

(avatar picture here)
amcinstaller
( * * * * * )

happy faces: 25
RSS

obviously i dont think ive been thanked that many times, but thats the idea, anyway. no way to deduct, only add.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.