Wanting to build a stroker, would really appreciate some advise

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Kyle555
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Wanting to build a stroker, would really appreciate some advise

Post by Kyle555 »

I am very new to this platform, and am just trying to understand the Jeep stroker engine more. I am currently building a motor for my 92 jeep xj. I Already have a 97 4.0 motor fully machined, bored to .30 OS, block deck resurfaced, new cam bearings, crank journals and caps have been ground smooth. 4.0 rods with bearing surfaces machined, with Sealed power H802CP 0.30 pistons already attached. 4.0 crank shaft ground and machined. New stock cam, with a stock 4.0 head, reused springs, new valves, new valve seals, and resurfaced deck. New melling oem oil pump, pick up screen and new oem push rods, lifters, and timing chain set. A long with a huge assortment of performance accessories, such as BBK 62 mm throttle body, port matched intake, and Flow kooler water pump etc. I've dumped about 3,500$ this far into this motor. My only problem is, now I am really wanting to convert it to a stroker.. So I have a few questions. First, is it worth it at this point to convert my build into a stroker? I can use the 4.0 crank to rebuild another used motor I have laying around. Second, my biggest question. Can I use my stock 4.0 pistons and rods for a stroker build using a 4.2 crank? Because If that's the case, I won't have to worry about buying new pistons again, and worrying about buying new rods. I'm not looking for any crazy horsepower gains, mainly just want the added torque of a stroker. If I can make it a stroker just by just adding a new crank and bearing set, I will be more than happy with that. Any suggestions or help will be very appreciated
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc

Re: Wanting to build a stroker, would really appreciate some advise

Post by Cheromaniac »

At a minimum you're going to need a 4.2 crankshaft plus a set of custom forged pistons from Russ if you're going to reuse your 4.0 rods to convert your short block into a stroker.
You'll also need a set of oversize injectors. I used blue Ford 24lb injectors (rated at 39psi) in my stroker and they worked very well.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Kyle555

Post by Kyle555 »

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it! I actually have found a recipe that I think will work out for my conversion. Which is to purchase and install a 4.2 crankshaft, and purchase 4.2 rods, then using my forged H802CP pistons that I already have. I watched a YouTube video of Newcomer's budget stroker build where he used this same combination in his stroker build. Given that the 4.2 rods are shorter, it seems to compensate for the taller stock 4.0 pistons. I will also be upgrading to a heavier duty timing set and roller rockers. I already have some 4 hole 24IB injectors. How ever they are not stroker intended injectors, so injectors are still being considered. Also, would you recommend putting a bigger cam in a budget stroker, or in my situation? Thanks again for the feedback, if you have different opinions or suggestions please let me know.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yeah it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the cam as well. Russ can provide you with a lower lift version of the CompCams 68-232-4 camshaft that'll work with the stock valve springs.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Jeepdad
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999

Post by Jeepdad »

If you were going to use a stroker engine a 4.2 L versus a 4.0 L is only an increase a 5% it comes to Engine displacement yes you can do it as a low budget build but unless you’re going with like a custom crank for a 4.6 L or 4.7 L is all the extra effort really worth 5% more power when there’s much better choices to be had. In my opinion if you’re going to go for a stroker get a rotating assembly from SCAT That will be a 15% increase in displacement so let’s just say for theoretical sake That your engine makes 250 hp a 5% increase on that is going to bring it up to 263hp on a 4.2 L. But if you go with a 4.6 L is going to increase your engine displacement by 15% in your horsepower by a theoretical 15% and put you at 288 hp. Horsepower increases are not always linear but that is a good frame work to go with. I think I payed $1200 for my SCAT rotating assembly from Summit. However you are not building a stroker from an old 4.0 you already have bored the engine over and upgraded the rotating assembly. I would think that unless you had someone to sell those parts to, what you cannot reuse would be a waste. Alternatively you can work with what you have, if I had your situation and was not starting from scratch I would spend $1200-$1500 on an Edelbrock aluminum head that dyno 20 hp and 34 lb-ft on a stock engine and would be even more on a modified one. Then I would upgrade to Harland Sharp roller rockers for $400 and an upgraded cam set I think the stage 2 Howard cam kit I got with the upgraded chain and the mustang injectors was like $800. Long and short I think that if you are going to go with a stroker go big with a 4.6-4.7 L or don’t waste your time and money. Or stick with your 4.0 and push it with some other parts and still get big gains.