Getting the Block Ready

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
greers85
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Getting the Block Ready

Post by greers85 »

I have dropped off my 4.0 block to the local machine shop for a hot tank and mag. Looks like the block is good to go for the build and I can start procuring parts. I have a couple of questions before diving in. What else can I do to the block before purchasing the internals? I want to budget the build out and do it in Phases, with that being said I have picked the recipe. Do I need the pistons to have the bore work done or is just knowing the bore over I want enough? Can I have the block decked if needed before having the internals and head? I would like to have the block made ready, bring it home spend a month or two buying the lower internals and then build.

Because I am obviously so new to engine building is there one way better then the other to contact Russ and what specific information should i have ready to make the conversation quick and smooth? Thanks
Cbordies
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Getting the Block Ready

Post by Cbordies »

Typically most will have the cylinders bored .030 and honed. For that, its good to send a piston with it to make sure the cylinder wall clearances are correct. As far as decking goes, some opt into zero decking a head to get the quench height in that tight range but I feel like the better option would be to have some custom height pistons from Russ Pottenger so you dont need to spend the money at the shop and you’ll have room in the future to clean things up if needed. Other than that, maybe a line hone for the mains to be sure everything is good there. Atleast have it checked. Someone may be able to chime in more but thats all I had done to mine except I went .040 over rather than .030.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Cbordies has basically covered it.
The machine shop will definitely want the new pistons so they can bore the cylinders to the correct oversize and hone them for the correct piston to bore clearance. I'd advise you go +0.030" so there's enough meat in the block for a second rebore should that ever become necessary.
Russ' pistons are tall enough to leave the crown just above the deck at TDC (0.008" IIRC) resulting in a 0.035" quench if you use a 0.043" head gasket.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
greers85
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by greers85 »

Great information.

As for the Bore size I went ahead and had it sonic tested to see if it will take a .060 based on the 4.7 Medium Recipe. So do we think for a semi daily driver its best to go with the 4.6 Low buck and not take the risk of a .060 bore? I really dont need 300HP but I figured since I was already in the motor and stretching the build out I would just do it. The overall plan is to run 4.56 or 4.88 with 35's.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

The differences between the 4.6 low buck and the 4.7 medium buck are:

The extra displacement
Higher CR
Bigger cam
Edelbrock aluminum head

You could easily do a 4.7 version of the low buck just by going +0.060" instead of +0.030". You could even go with the higher CR plus the bigger 235 cam and it would still be a low buck recipe. If you add the Edelbrock head though, it'll no longer be low buck.
greers85
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by greers85 »

Ok, If i skip the Edelbrock head what year head should i be looking for for this 96 block?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Preferably a '96-'98 head with casting #0630.
Fikeweston
Vehicle Year: 2002

Post by Fikeweston »

Hey guys. Been trying to get information on some stroker stuff from the Russ guy I see on here but it won’t let me post or message anyone. I wanna build a stroker and I’ve done a lot of research but I’m still sourcing parts and seeing what I need done. Any help is appreciated.
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Fikeweston wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:37 pm Hey guys. Been trying to get information on some stroker stuff from the Russ guy I see on here but it won’t let me post or message anyone. I wanna build a stroker and I’ve done a lot of research but I’m still sourcing parts and seeing what I need done. Any help is appreciated.
This forum is a little outdated. What model Jeep do you own? What block/head do you have? And what is the goal for the vehicle? 300HP daily driver? 500HP street/trail machine? 1000HP record breaking drag car?
Fikeweston

Post by Fikeweston »

2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ, looking to do a 4.6 or 4.7. Honestly I’ve been looking into the cleggs stroker kits, when doing so i stumbled on this forum and seen you all knew what you were doing. Honestly I ride and do street, looking for as much HP and torque I can get for both worlds. Not a daily, but I do drive it and take small trips etc. that’s why ive really been penciled in on the 4.6, maybe 4.7. I’m just ignorant to a lot of it and want to know what I can do. I’d be satisfied with 300+ torque. Honestly would like a lot of HP too. Was looking at the DINO medium buck stroker as well which lined up with what I really was shooting for in just not sure on cost. Can’t find numbers for the cleggs kits either
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Randy Bobandi wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:36 pmThis forum is a little outdated.
Not as outdated as the AMC I6 that we use to build stroker engines. ;)
Fikeweston wrote: July 13th, 2021, 5:57 pm 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ, looking to do a 4.6 or 4.7. Honestly

Was looking at the DINO medium buck stroker as well which lined up with what I really was shooting for in just not sure on cost.
I quoted the differences between the 4.6 low buck and the 4.7 medium buck stroker builds in a previous post. The extra cost of the Edelbrock head is what makes the latter a medium buck build. You could build a 4.7 low buck by retaining the stock iron head and having that ported but go for the bigger 235 cam and 10:1 compression ratio.
If you're building your own engine, budget at least $3000 for the low buck and $5000 for the medium buck.
Fikeweston

Post by Fikeweston »

Thanks so much for the reply. For budget costs I’ll prolly stay closer to the 4.6, the rest on the table is still tempting. Lol. I emailed Russ to see what he could do on parts. Excited to start the adventure,
greers85
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by greers85 »

Ok, I have my information from Russ and a plan of attack. My question now is about recouping of cost.

The head is trashed which is why I started this project in the first place. So with that being said, is there any worth to trying to sell the engine internals that i will no longer need like the crank, cam , pistons and rods? I figure the same will go for the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and throttle body.

I am not trying to make a killing and would even consider giving the stuff away if someone needed it. Just trying to decide what is best and possible. Thanks!!
Randy Bobandi

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Who is doing the machine work for your engine?

I have sold a couple of 4.0L crankshafts & sets of rods to my local machine shop. Every time I go in there, there is another old Jeep engine sitting there, waiting to be rebuilt. I don't ask much for them. I think I got $100 for the last crank/rods set. Things like throttle bodies and manifolds would be better suited to Ebay rather than a private sale.
greers85
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by greers85 »

Local machine shop is doing it. That sounds like a great place to start I will ask them when I go in next. Thanks!