A shout out for Russ and his help in my build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

A shout out for Russ and his help in my build

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

When I decided to build a 4.7 for my CJ-7, to replace my 258, I called Russ and told him what I wanted to build. A lot of posts on this website helped me learn what was possible. I have never worked on or built an inline six, until this build. I had a new CJ-7 back in the day, but in the six years I owned it, it never needed any real maintenance, other than a valve cover gasket and oil changes.

Russ helped me pick the right parts, pistons, rods, camshaft and everything else required to convert a 4.0 into a healthy 4.7. This journey began about a year and a half ago. I finally got it up and running, and I am very pleased with the outcome. It starts and idles smooth, it has great throttle response, it can run 65 on the freeway if I want, with 273’s 31’s and a TF-999. It accelerates plenty fast for a CJ-7, and it runs cool, just into the green arc on the stock gauge in the speedometer cluster.

It runs so good, I’m going to install my hummer steering gear, Wolfe column bearing, and other upgrades to get the steering squared away. I want to daily drive it this year, as soon as I go through the steering, to make it nicer to drive. It has the power to cruise, so I want the rest of the Jeep ready to put some miles on it.

Thanks Russ!

Axel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Re: A shout out for Russ and his help in my build

Post by bleedsblue »

That is awesome!
I know Russ has been amazingly patient with me during my build. I can't wait until mine is done too!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Thanks so much for the kind words Axel.
Always glad to hear when the “Happy Gauge” is pegged.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

I upgraded my steering gear, shaft & lower column bearing and now my Jeep steers and drives very nice. I made a few adjustments to my throttle cable & transmission cable, now my transmission is shifting right were I like it, so everything is working as it should. I can’t say enough how happy I am with this new engine, and the off idle response it has while driving. I reduced my eighth mile ET by over two seconds and picked up 13 MPh, and that was launching at about half throttle to prevent traction loss.

Anyone out there driving a 258 powered Jeep that want to double your power, I say build a stroker, you will like it.
Flynhigh

Post by Flynhigh »

275/350 I-6 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 6:30 pm When I decided to build a 4.7 for my CJ-7, to replace my 258, I called Russ and told him what I wanted to build. A lot of posts on this website helped me learn what was possible. I have never worked on or built an inline six, until this build. I had a new CJ-7 back in the day, but in the six years I owned it, it never needed any real maintenance, other than a valve cover gasket and oil changes.

Russ helped me pick the right parts, pistons, rods, camshaft and everything else required to convert a 4.0 into a healthy 4.7. This journey began about a year and a half ago. I finally got it up and running, and I am very pleased with the outcome. It starts and idles smooth, it has great throttle response, it can run 65 on the freeway if I want, with 273’s 31’s and a TF-999. It accelerates plenty fast for a CJ-7, and it runs cool, just into the green arc on the stock gauge in the speedometer cluster.

It runs so good, I’m going to install my hummer steering gear, Wolfe column bearing, and other upgrades to get the steering squared away. I want to daily drive it this year, as soon as I go through the steering, to make it nicer to drive. It has the power to cruise, so I want the rest of the Jeep ready to put some miles on it.

Thanks Russ!

Axel

Do you have a build list of what parts you used for the engine build?
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

I spent about 3K on parts and about 1K on machine work. I have taken a picture of my list, and will post it below. Also, not included in this list are many parts I replaced, that needed to be replaced anyway, or parts I chose to replace so I would have a complete new engine, and driving experience. I’m talking about a new starter, alternator, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and a new exhaust with 2.5” pipe, 2.5” muffler and 2.5” hi flow cat. I will post the list with the cost when I get time to put it together, but it’s probably close to another 1K.

Don’t let the cost deter you. I now have a 1985 CJ-7 that has more than twice the power it has when it was new. It can cruise 65-75 MPH no problem, it’s just crazy fun to drive now...well worth the time and money for the engine swap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.