2003 WJ stoker build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Re: 2003 WJ stoker build

Post by Randy Bobandi »

So the bent push rod is the result of one push rod being too long? What method did you use to measure push rod length and lifter preload? I'm assuming you went with the non-adjustable rockers.
bnelson
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by bnelson »

That seems like a lot of bend for a 0.04" long pushrod...........
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by bleedsblue »

I cant be certain why the pushrod bent....

I am "fairly" certain that all the rocker arms were torqued down to spec. But, I checked preload SOOO many times I very well could have not torqued it down that last time. I checked clearances with the Comp Cams pushrod length tool. I measured the tool with calipers, I didn't trust myself to count turns. I was so nervous about getting the preload correct I also did the scribe the pushrod technique spoken about here on the forums. I was surprised how close the two different ways were.

Yesterday, after getting the valve cover back on, the baffle had come loose so I had to pull it back off today and spot weld it in place. It is MUCH quieter without the rockers slapping it constantly.

I also got a Volant cold air intake and Dynomax 2.5" super turbo cat back put on today. The exhaust is perfect, not loud, but a little throaty when I step on it. I still haven't gotten on it too hard but I did drive over a steep pass today and it did much better going over it.

The rear main seal is leaking like a garden hose. I'm just tired of being so greasy and oily I don't know how soon I will get around to it. Maybe this weekend.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

When you replaced the fuel pump, did you replace the fuel pressure regulator with it? Your fuel system is returnless with the regulator being in the tank.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

On my WJ all the literature I found shows the fuel regulator is part of the fuel filter. Not in the tank. The filter/regulator assembly that was on the Jeep wasn't very old, but I changed it first before the fuel pump because it's cheaper and easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by rlinares40 »

Any updates on why the pushrod got bent the way it did? or if you got the engine running correctly? :cheers:
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

So I have almost 2k on the motor. It runs great. There is a slight ticking from one of the lifters, but I have not had the motivation to dig into it yet. I changed gears and started working on my 1979 F-250. I do drive the Jeep almost daily just because I enjoy driving it. It gets terrible mileage, but that is what my VW TDI is for. I'm assuming I messed up and left one of the rocker arms loose allowing the pushrod to come out of the whole. There havent been any further problems. I should be getting it tuned here shortly.
fhunziker
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: WJ (GC)

Post by fhunziker »

Loved reading about your build, hope you get the last issues ironed out.

Which fuel injectors are you running?
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Thanks, I believe they are 24lb bosch injectors. I got them from Russ.
I'm still waiting on tuning. After no response from Chris tuned, I contacted Russ and he emailed Chris who then responded to me, once....
So I am playing the waiting game for tuning from flyin ryan tuning.
I'll report back with how it turns out. I have high hopes....
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Nice thread. You are in Utah? Who did you go through for your machine work?
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

I'm up North so I used Jensen Auto in Ogden.
Great people!
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

It has already hit 100 in Utah. I took the Jeep up over a mountain pass to try out my new Wouxun GMRS radio and the stroker overheated. Didn't damage anything, it pegged the gauge and I pulled over. This is a very steep demanding pass.
I only have the electric fan so I bought the 2787 fan clutch and FA70377 fan blade. It took about 10 minutes to install and went straight in. Holy crap this thing moves some air! You can feel it sucking air in through the grille. Drove the Jeep over the same mountain pass, same 100 degree temperatures. No more overheating and it runs 15 degrees cooler around town. The sound will just take a little getting used to.
Pics below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

bleedsblue wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:57 am I'm up North so I used Jensen Auto in Ogden.
Great people!
I'll keep that in mind. Hunter machine has me wondering what I'll get when I go back for head work soon. Sometimes they are awesome, but I had a pretty major screw up that was about to leave me on the hook for machine work I couldn't use and didn't want. I'd love to find a shop that wanted to work with me, but who knows. I work in salt lake so it's easier for me to do stuff out that way even though I live north.

Yeah it's been a scorcher lately. I'm surprised an electric fan got you this far. I hate clutch fan noise, but they move some impressive air. My wife's gx sounds like a plane when you start it up. It's even louder than my Tundra and my xj.