2003 WJ stoker build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

2003 WJ stoker build

Post by bleedsblue »

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I got my first Jeep back in April. It is a 2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0. I have since fully embraced the Just Empty Every Pocket lifestyle.
It is lifted with a rough country (RC) long arm kit and RC spacers. I switch between 33's and 35's depending on what terrain I am on. I made a sweet trade deal where I traded my old Yamaha Rhino for some Rubicon Dana 44's with fab and install then re-geared them to 4.88's.
This thing is amazing when I am in the dirt. Driving it around town is a different story. It just needed more power so I started reading here.

So.....I picked up a stock 4.0 from a 2000 TJ and tore it down so I could keep driving the Jeep during the build. The phone calls then began with Russ followed by the draining of the bank account. Right now the block is at the machine shop getting the work done to fit Russ's crank, pistons, and camshaft.

The cam we settled on was the Comp Cams 163-301-5 with the nitrate treatment and RaceTec -14. CC 3.905 pistons. As previously stated, I also got the crank and rods from Russ. All of the ARP hardware just showed up at my door.

I will be finishing it off with one of Russ's ported 0331 heads, and HS roller rockers. I already have a 62mm throttle body installed. I still need to settle on what header and injectors to use. I have to comply with emissions here in Utah so I will be keeping the cats. We hunt with the jeep so keeping it as quiet as possible is a primary goal. No loud exhaust or intake for this guy.

I just wanted to thank everyone for putting all the information on this forum. I have used it extensively.

Lastly a shameless plug for Russ Pottenger. He is simply amazing to work with. If he has many other customers bugging him as often as I do, I don't know how he gets anything done because he replies so dang quick.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 2003 WJ stoker build

Post by Cheromaniac »

Good luck with the build and be sure to post some pics.
Russ has undoubtedly moved the stroker game forwards in leaps and bounds, and the availability of performance parts for the Jeep 4.0 is greater than ever despite production of the engine having ceased 15 years ago. That's testament to its enduring popularity.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Do I have to have a certain amount of posts before I can put pictures up?
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

20201222_170434.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

20201222_170429.jpg
20201203_155050.jpg
20201112_150546_resized(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Thought I would pop in and give some updates. I stopped by the machine shop, the block is all cleaned up. Just waiting on their machine guy to get back. Looks good so far.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Having a spare motor to build is the only way to go. If you can. I've been taking my time trying different things. I have a blue anodized fuel rail and really love the color. So I decided to try the Dupli-Color anodized blue paint on the valve cover. I cleaned it, sand blasted it, then cleaned it about 3 more times to make sure I got all of the media out of the internal baffle. Then gave it a few coats of the silver base coat, let it sit overnight and put 4 coats of the blue paint on. 2 coats will do, but I wanted it darker. I have to say I love how it turned out. I am letting it sit for a few days before putting on some of the clear coat. Today I did the water pump, timing cover, alternator bracket, and the thermostat housing. I didn't take pics of them but I will post them when I get some.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Here is the valve cover after two light coats of the blue paint.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

And I almost forgot the cam card.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Looking great.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Thank you Sir. I put a few coats of the Duplicolor gloss clear coat on today. In the pictures it is still wet. When it dried a bit it really smoothed out. They claim the ceramic engine clear coat is gas and chemical resistant. I guess we will see. I'm now getting paint happy!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Everything is looking good, but I’d be a little apprehensive sand/glass blasting the valve cover without removing and reinstalling the baffle after its thoroughly cleaned.

My .02
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

As always, sound advice. I don't have faith I got everything flushed out. I guess I will have to remove the baffle when I get my rockers from you anyway though.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Then you plan on re installing the baffle, right ?
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

I was under the impression the baffle had to be removed for the Harland Sharp roller rockers?