2000 Jeep WJ Stroker Project - Planning Stages

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
mrd05d
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand

2000 Jeep WJ Stroker Project - Planning Stages

Post by mrd05d »

I bought my father a WJ 15 years ago and he has not passed it on to me. It has 170k miles on it and I am looking to do a stroker and lift. It will be mostly daily driven but will also pull. It has factory Tow package and i believe has 3.73 gears etc.

I was looking at the 4.6 low buck stroker it seems to fit the bill fine.

I was wondering what the best opportunities are to save money on the project will be. I don't mind searching for good deals.
Can the rods from my current motor be reused ?
Is getting a rebuilt crankshaft from Autozone/Advanced okay? Is there a better way to go?

Is there a best time of year to grab stuff on sale?

Also I will likely need a new head as mine is 0331 non tupy. I would expect finding a Tupy and rebuilding would be most cost affective. I live super close to Clearwater Heads but looks like it would be 800 dollars for one of theirs...

I am trying to get this stroker done and in and running well for under $2000. Is this even possible? If not what should a respectable budget be right now?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 2000 Jeep WJ Stroker Project - Planning Stages

Post by Cheromaniac »

It's challenging at best to build a good running stroker for $2000. Realistically you'd need closer to $3000 nowadays. You could reuse your rods but by the time you've had them reconditioned and resized, you might as well get a set of new steel rod/forged piston assemblies from Russ. You could also get the crank, bearings, oil pump, timing set, cam, and lifters from Russ and save a few $. As for the head, Clearwater has a good reputation so they may be your best bet. Even if you find a good junkyard head, it'll need to be reconditioned and any cost saving will be minimal.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: