Fuel pressure readings question

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Fuel pressure readings question

Post by optmaxx »

My stroker is still running strong, but I noticed recently that it hesitated a few times when trying to floor it, or when trying to hit 80mph in the freeway; it's like it hits a dead spot making me let go of the gas so that it can catch up with itself. It stops hesitating on it's own when I let go of the gas, and it even stops doing it completely after a bit of driving but it does it again the next time I drive it, so I figured that it may be fuel related?

I did a fuel pressure test with a new tester and found that my pressure is at 29psi at idle with the vacuum and 35psi without the vacuum, so I changed the fuel pressure regulator thinking that it was that, but there was no change on the readings.

I'm thinking of changing the whole until with a Spectra unit from O'reilly since it's giving me false fuel gauge readings anyways, but what do you guys think? Am I right to think it's a bad fuel pump?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Fuel pressure readings question

Post by Cheromaniac »

Try changing the fuel filter first.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Fuel pressure readings question

Post by optmaxx »

Thanks, I've decided to replace the whole unit since it's giving incorrect readings at my dash fuel gauge, and I plan to replace the filter as well.

Dropping the tank and putting it back on may be a little tougher since I'm doing it by myself, and I also looked into making an access panel but I'm not too crazy about making all of those sparks since my YJ isn't lifted. I saw that Harbor Freight sells a 14 gauge electric metal shear for around $50-$60, and the reviews are good but how thick do you guys think the metal is back there?