ECM, map, etc. question

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Bubblhead
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

ECM, map, etc. question

Post by Bubblhead »

I have a good handle on the mechanical side of my 4.6 "Upgrade", however as I continue my research, I see a lot of talk regarding adjustable map sensors, ECM tunes, piggyback chips or tuners etc. More or less getting the electronics to play nice with the new hardware. I likely am overthinking again, but are there any documents or resources available that address this? would suck to spend all this money and not be able to use it to its potential. Thanks!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Re: ECM, map, etc. question

Post by Cheromaniac »

What model is your Jeep?
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Bubblhead
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Bubblhead »

it is a 2000 Cherokee, the engine being built is out of a 99, swapped over to coil pack.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

If you keep the cam mild and the compression stock'ish, it will run decent with just the correct injectors. Not that tuning wouldn't benefit you, but it won't throw codes. I have almost 10:1 compression and a big cam. Mine throws codes, pings, and runs like poopoo with a stock tune. The best way to handle it is to have the PCM custom tuned, but then you are at the mercy of your tuner and their schedule. I am really looking forward to mine getting finished.
Bertismyname
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1999

Post by Bertismyname »

HP tuners has the capability to tune your p.c.m. for almost anything. There's also a few guys selling canned tunes. You will need the correct size injectors. But you should be able to keep your stock sensors and not need to trick the computer. I do recommend moving your air temperature sensor from the intake manifold to your air box though. It will be a more accurate sampling of the actual air temp and will richen up the mixture slightly. It helped me get rid of a ping I was getting at cruising speeds.