Not sure what to do with my setup, need advice.

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
cuban11182
Learning to use the board

Not sure what to do with my setup, need advice.

Post by cuban11182 »

Please forgive me as I'm on mobile.

I have a Newcomer Racing 4.6 with a ported head, oversized valves, and a mild cam. It made 313 hp and 321 lb ft on the dyno.

I have it installed in my 84 CJ7 with a Sniper EFI system, but have the opportunity to install a 94 XJ ECM and injectors, so I'm probably going to go with that. I do have a spare 99 U shaped intake that I will be installing.

My questions are can I just use the factory 94 ECM or should I go with something different? Everything I'm reading says they Accel 24 injectors. Should I also just stay with the factory TB? Being that I have a Sniper fuel pump, is 58.5 PSI too much and I'll need to regulator to lower it?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm just sitting in a parking lot while my little sister is at an appointment.

Thanks in advance.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Not sure what to do with my setup, need advice.

Post by jsawduste »

You don't want the 94 OBD1/SBEC ECU and the engine management it offers.

Yes, it would (could) work but why would you trade the Sniper for old school OBD1 engine management ??
cuban11182

Post by cuban11182 »

Because I'm not exactly sure if the Sniper is what is causing my problems or if it's the engine itself. I'm thinking that having an injector at each port would be better than the TBI that I currently have.
Sebastian_98XJ
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Sebastian_98XJ »

I would not use OBD1 since you cant tune it. I would use 96+ obd2. It has support from hptuners since last october, so you or a tuner can tune it and have much better results. I've been tuning my jeep with it and it's running better than ever.
cuban11182

Post by cuban11182 »

So an update....I'm an idiot. I've never heard pinging before, but my father has. I'm a diesel mechanic, he was a real mechanic (lol). So had him drive the CJ while I was in the passenger seat with the laptop plugged into the sniper. It's not pinging, but rather a rattle. :doh: He's thinking that it's either the T177 input shaft doesn't like the torque or the Centerforce Stage 2 not liking the power. No pinging, just an idiot.