2001 Jeep 4.0 -> 4.6l Stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 2001 Jeep 4.0 -> 4.6l Stroker

Post by BClark »

Ok nice. I am thinking of putting the Cleggs stage 1 cam in my stroker that I want to build. Did it make the Jeep a little louder? Also, what cam are you running now in your stroker?
Kratos
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Kratos »

It didn’t really make the jeep any louder. I definitely noticed a small bit more “chop” but again nothing crazy. Right now I’m running the comp cams 68-200-4 for the shorter duration since I’m running about 9.0:1 SCR. I wanted something a little mild to try to maintain that 4.0 reliability. I’ve heard too many stories about premature cam failure with those big nasty cams and big valves.:D I left a small bit on the table IMO but all in all it’s way better than stock.
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by BClark »

Is your comp cams more mild then the Cleggs? I think I want to use the Cleggs, but want a little more info on it. Any videos of your Jeep idling with the Cleggs? (I'm one of those people that like louder systems)
Kratos
Noob
Noob

Post by Kratos »

The cleggs cam if I'm not mistaken has 10 thousandths more lift at the valve and about 10 degrees longer duration but the comp cams has some advance ground into it. I'm not too sure if the cleggs had any advance or retard. IMO I wouldn't use the cleggs cam with their stage 1 or 2 kit, I would shoot for the 9.6 compression ratio in their stage 3 to make up for the longer duration. I've got a video stuffed somewhere in my archives ill post it once I find it.
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by BClark »

The people on the Cleggs website said that the stage 1 cam would work nice with the stage 1 stroker kit. They said I can achieve 9.2:1 compression with that stroker kit if I dont deck the block. Do you think the stage 1 cam would cause issues with the stage 1 stroker kit?
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by BClark »

Kratos wrote: August 27th, 2020, 8:33 pm The cleggs cam if I'm not mistaken has 10 thousandths more lift at the valve and about 10 degrees longer duration but the comp cams has some advance ground into it. I'm not too sure if the cleggs had any advance or retard. IMO I wouldn't use the cleggs cam with their stage 1 or 2 kit, I would shoot for the 9.6 compression ratio in their stage 3 to make up for the longer duration. I've got a video stuffed somewhere in my archives ill post it once I find it.
Alright new possible plan of attack. Use the Cleggs Stage 3 Stroker kit with their stage 1 camshaft kit. How does that sound? The compression ratio would be higher for that cam.
Kratos
Noob
Noob

Post by Kratos »

If my math is correct when you use their stage 1 kit and stage 1 cam without a decked block I get a 8.8 SCR with a DCR of almost 7:1. with a DCR that low you're leaving quite a bit on the table In terms of power IMO. For reference I’m running a 9.0:1 SCR with a a 7.9 DCR. Which is still a pretty conservative build. You would benefit from running a higher SCR with their longer duration cam since you’ll be losing a little bit of a compression with the intake valves overlap. I think it would help a bunch if we knew your intentions with the build. Are you building an all out race motor that runs on 100 octane? Are you looking for a daily/trail rig? Something mild to still run on 87 octane? Is there a certain horsepower number you’re hoping for? I would recommend checking out Dino’s website he has quite a few build sheets with associated power figures. His link is www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com.
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by BClark »

Kratos wrote: August 27th, 2020, 11:28 pm If my math is correct when you use their stage 1 kit and stage 1 cam without a decked block I get a 8.8 SCR with a DCR of almost 7:1. with a DCR that low you're leaving quite a bit on the table In terms of power IMO. For reference I’m running a 9.0:1 SCR with a a 7.9 DCR. Which is still a pretty conservative build. You would benefit from running a higher SCR with their longer duration cam since you’ll be losing a little bit of a compression with the intake valves overlap. I think it would help a bunch if we knew your intentions with the build. Are you building an all out race motor that runs on 100 octane? Are you looking for a daily/trail rig? Something mild to still run on 87 octane? Is there a certain horsepower number you’re hoping for? I would recommend checking out Dino’s website he has quite a few build sheets with associated power figures. His link is www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com.
Yea that is why I am thinking of switching to their stage 2 stroker kit. Higher compression. I want to run that kit, with their stage 1 cam. I dont want an over aggressive cam. And I just want to run 87. The people on the website said that this would be a solid combo.
Kratos
Noob
Noob

Post by Kratos »

sounds like a good plan. what head are you planning on running? Are you gonna stick with the same 0331 head? gonna try to find a tupy? maybe get the Aluminum Edelbrock head? if you're gonna stick a 0331 head in I recommend finding a tupy or going with maybe a promaxx performance head, they have a thicker casting where the OEM head usually cracks.
Kratos
Noob
Noob

Post by Kratos »

If you do decide on upgrading to an aluminum head you'll be able to run a higher compression ratio for any given octane.
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by BClark »

Kratos wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:53 am sounds like a good plan. what head are you planning on running? Are you gonna stick with the same 0331 head? gonna try to find a tupy? maybe get the Aluminum Edelbrock head? if you're gonna stick a 0331 head in I recommend finding a tupy or going with maybe a promaxx performance head, they have a thicker casting where the OEM head usually cracks.
Yea the whole reason for this rebuild is the fact that this Jeep is on its 3rd cylinder head.... previous owner replaced it with a crappy head. I put a refurbished TUPY head on it. Now the oil pressure builds too slowly and you can definitely hear it. It's also definitely down on power. This head should be good for now.
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by BClark »

Kratos wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:54 am If you do decide on upgrading to an aluminum head you'll be able to run a higher compression ratio for any given octane.
Also, this is VERY important to me. Will this engine be reliable? I have a good machinist, and he will probably put the block together. He should make sure everything is correct. Would this be reliable? I want a good amount of miles out of it.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

If the machine shop work is good, and you use a proper combination of good quality parts, and the engine is built correctly, there's no reason why it shouldn't run reliably for at least 100k miles.
I owned my Jeep for 21 years (1995-2016) and it had the stroker from 2004. The original engine still ran great after 174k miles, and the stroker also still ran great after 86k miles when I reluctantly had to sell the Jeep.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
BClark
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by BClark »

Ok so I have been doing some research. Should I use the scat forged 4.0 rods or just my stock ones? I've heard the stock ones are pretty strong, but upgrading to SCAT only adds $100 when using Cleggs. Worth it to you guys?

Also, what should I do about porting and polishing the head? I've got a TUPY 0331 head.
blay127
Noob
Noob

Post by blay127 »

Thought I'd throw this out there since you were considering a lot of the parts that I have in my motor.

I didnt build it so I dont know the specifics, was told (receipts for proof) that it is a Clegg's Stage 3 kit with the Stage 1 cam. Pretty sure its a non ported 0630 head, ebay stainless header, 2.5" collector and 2.5 pipe out to a flowmaster hushpower muffler.

But you can listen here and get an idea of the idle sound and then a quick rip up to about 4000 rpm.
https://flic.kr/p/2jgPtjv