4.7 out of YJ to TJ

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
PatriotMB
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

4.7 out of YJ to TJ

Post by PatriotMB »

I had a crate Stroker put into my 1995 YJ and I’ve only put 1k miles on it. I recently purchased a 2004 LJ with a 4.0. I know there are differences with 04 such as ignition. I just wanted to know if it’s possible to swap the 4.7 into the LJ. Then take the 4.0 and put it back into the YJ.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.7 out of YJ to TJ

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yes to both.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Your head will probably be different. The 04 might have an 0331 tupy? I'm not certain on that one, but it should have the newer style head and the yj should have the older style head. I don't think that means much besides probably having to find a header for the 04 to accommodate the older head or doing a head swap.

As for accessory mounting and engine mounts I don't know. My memory on the issue is leaning me towards saying the engine mounts might be different. Seems like a yj engine might have fit in my xj and for some reason a tj engine wouldn't. The accessory drive is a different layout I believe at least.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

The good thing is that he has both engines so he can just eyeball them and take photos to see the differences.
The '04 engine, as you rightly pointed out, has the later TUPY head so he can just swap that engine into the YJ together with the header and downpipe. The same goes for the reverse engine swap.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Cheromaniac wrote: August 4th, 2020, 1:46 am The good thing is that he has both engines so he can just eyeball them and take photos to see the differences.
The '04 engine, as you rightly pointed out, has the later TUPY head so he can just swap that engine into the YJ together with the header and downpipe. The same goes for the reverse engine swap.
Good point. For some reason I was thinking the 04 had the dual cats on the manifold, but I might be mistaken.
TJryder
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by TJryder »

Coil packs and twin cats on manifold on my 2000 TJ.
°O|||||||O°
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Read this for more information.

Scroll down to Silver XJ`s links.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=52

Haven't read these in a while but my foggy memory tells me late model TJ blocks have the engine mounts in a different location than the XJ/YJ.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Xj

Post by Mike B »

I ran across this dilemma about a year ago when I acquired my buddys 99 tj with a block from a 2002 tj and wanted to swap it into a 95 xj. Long story short, the blocks have a few subtle differences that will make the swap somewhat of a pain if you don't have time, special tooling and a place to work on it.

From what I've learned from this forum is that there are a few bosses on the block that are not drilled/tapped that change up the accessory mounting brackets and also the engine mount brackets. While its not impossible to make everything work, it was more work than I wanted to do, so I just took another block I had and started building it, still not finished, but I'm not in a rush and my job constantly fluctuates and keeps me on my toes. Besides, my xj still runs while I finish up the details with the atroker anyway.