Stroker Power Loss

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jrama
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeeo
Vehicle Model: TJ

Stroker Power Loss

Post by Jrama »

Hey everyone,

I have a sudden loss of power, feels like I lost 75hp. No check engine (apart from the evap code that is always there). Power loss is more noticeable at higher rpms. No smoke, no noises, runs smoothly, starts no problem, oil is good (No flakes, foam, etc.), no signs of blow by etc. In Neutral it doesn't easily reach the limiter, it wouldn't even go past 4200 at one point ( sounded like it was bouncing off the limiter at 4200). After the full tank (noted Below) It will get to the limiter kinda weakly.

I figured I might have gotten some water in the gas a few weekends ago doing a deep river crossing. The tank finally got down to below a quarter full and I figured it was probably sucking some water. So I added some water remover and put in a full tank, its a bit better but not nearly where it should be power wise (so basically the same).

What are come common things to check out? Engine is a 4.6 stroker probably about 10k miles on it(All same accessory's,manifold,TB,intake etc. as 4.0) 2004 Jeep tj.

To me it might still be a fuel issue? Maybe a clogged cat? Any pointers on what to check is appreciated. I am getting paranoid and thinking maybe the cam lobes are worn/wearing? which wouldn't make sense due to the sudden onset.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stroker Power Loss

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

I'd probably start with a compression check. Especially if it seemed to start around the same time I did a deep river crossing.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Agree. Hopefully no water got into the engine, otherwise there could be a couple of bent connecting rods.
I think a plugged up cat is far more likely though.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Heck
Donator
Donator

Post by Heck »

Mine was very similar, was a plugged cat.
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Heck wrote: July 18th, 2020, 3:57 pm Mine was very similar, was a plugged cat.
It's strange how that seems to happen now and then. I had a buddy who was complaining that his big block all the sudden couldn't tow his trailer on the freeway. They cut the cat off and it drove fine again.
Heck
Donator
Donator

Post by Heck »

Yeah, at 35k my upper cats disintegrated and plugged the lower. Been catless ever since, 15 years, never thrown a trouble code yet. Almost like VW wasn't the 1st company to fudge on emissions.
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.