New guy 1992 4.0 XJ

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
BrentB
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

New guy 1992 4.0 XJ

Post by BrentB »

Hey all, I just registered to this forum as I have been seriously considering the stroker route. I have a 1992 XJ with the 4.0 that I’ve had for 3 years now, just about 163k miles. I was driving to work last week when my motor started this horrible knocking. Needless to say I got it towed home.
I pulled the head and discovered my number 6 piston had chipped. It ate away at the top of the cylinder wall down to the block, as you can hopefully see in my photos if they upload right. I was amazed that it even got this bad honestly. I’m very new to motor stuff and I’ve been learning a lot along the way. A lot of my buddies have told me that I can probably take it to a machine shop and have them redo the bores. It seems as if all the pistons have a very slight gap around them but I’m not sure how much is normal. So, I figured while I have it all apart and getting it rebuilt anyway, I might as well look into this stroker stuff. Like I said I’m super knew to this and I’m honestly expecting to get laughed at here but I’m trying to learn :lol:
I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this both this forum and cherokeeforum but it all just seems like so much to take in. I definitely don’t want to go cheap as I believe you get what you pay for, but I also don’t want to be scraping for money. I want to keep this Jeep and I want to rebuild this motor to where it will last.
So I guess what I’m really looking for is just some guidance. I’m completely willing to put in work and learn but I know I’ll have to get the block work done by a shop. How much should I be planning to spend if I buy a kit and send the block to a machine shop vs buying a built stroker motor?? I called 505 performance and talked to Zach (which I now know after searching them on this forum that they have a horrible reputation). But he told me they have a fully built 4.7l stroker, ready to install, that he can sell me for what seemed like a very reasonable price. If they have a warranty would that be the better route? Any advice, help, knowledge is greatly appreciated. Also, I’m sorry in advance if I didn’t post this in the right spot :cheers: i’m really looking forward to this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tolemar
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: New guy 1992 4.0 XJ

Post by Tolemar »

From my personal experience id stay away from 505 performance. Contact Russel Potterfield on this forum if you want a stroker kit. I am currently building a stroker using a kit he developed for me.Im pretty happy with the results. If you want a turn key stroker built contact Golen.
BrentB
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: New guy 1992 4.0 XJ

Post by BrentB »

Tolemar thanks for the response. I gave Russ a call and he took time to help me out. Super nice and knowledgeable guy. Think I know which route I’m going :D