Best AFR for 4.6 golen engine?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
FrankKoba
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Best AFR for 4.6 golen engine?

Post by FrankKoba »

Managed to adjust fuel to about 12.7 AFR @ 4800 rpm and above, ingnition is fine and motor feels comfortable to rev.

Now I did a test run and it feels good, motor is revving up in 4th gear up to 4930 rpm but then the PCM turns of the injectors. It is clearly visible for me because I monitor the opening time of the first injector for fuel consumption calculation.

From the golen dyno video and the data sheet I know the engine is fine with 5200 rpm. Seems to be a kind of limiter and I wonder if it is
- a engine rev limiter (searched google, but no clear answer: some say no limiter, others state 4800 to 5500 engine rpm limiter) or
- speed limiting: 4930 rpm in 4th is 113 mph on GPS - concerning the old fassion YJ suspension someone @ JEEP want to make sure there is a speed limit

I hope someone of the experts here at jeepstrokers knows the 1995 PCM in more detail and let me know the answer.
95 YJ, OME 2"+MX6, 33x12.5 BFG+Alcoa 10"x15", Golen 4.6, 62mm TB, CCV oil catch, 4.1 end gear, PS header in 2.5" SS exhaust, GC disc brake, eCooling, 50kV DUI ign., UTCOMP-PRO, LC1 w.band, APEXI SAFC2, LED lights, Pioneer SS, Recaros
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

You hit the top speed governor in 4th gear. If you want to do a full rpm sweep all the way to 5200rpm, you'll need to use 3rd gear.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
FrankKoba
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by FrankKoba »

Thanks - good to know.

At 100 mph (GPS) my speedometer shows 111. I already planned to change the speedometer pinion to achive more realistic values. It will reduce the pulse count by 8 % - that should allow for 5200 rpm in 4th.

Btw: beside top speed do you know if there is a rev limiter in the 1995 stock PCM?
95 YJ, OME 2"+MX6, 33x12.5 BFG+Alcoa 10"x15", Golen 4.6, 62mm TB, CCV oil catch, 4.1 end gear, PS header in 2.5" SS exhaust, GC disc brake, eCooling, 50kV DUI ign., UTCOMP-PRO, LC1 w.band, APEXI SAFC2, LED lights, Pioneer SS, Recaros
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yes. The stock rev limiter is set at 5250.
Bertismyname
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1999

Post by Bertismyname »

Learn to read plugs. Probably the easiest way to see inside the engine. Make one change at a time. Pull plugs and look. Make another change.

Buy a vacuum gauge. Vacuum readings while driving will help you see whats going on. Tune for highest vacuum readings at idle. Go drive. If it pings back off timing/ add fuel as needed. "Ideal" a.f.r. is around 14.7 or so. What works for an engine " identical" to yours is only a base line. It may or may not be right for yours. Too many variables between vehicles and drivers. A tuner sending you files is only guessing. If you were to take it to a tuner and they don't have a vacuum gage and a couple sets of plugs i would find someone else.