Endurance Roller Stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Garmobozia1260
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

Endurance Roller Stroker

Post by Garmobozia1260 »

Happy Easter weekend everyone!, hope everyone is being safe in these crazytimes!,

I finally have my funding for a stroker saved up , unfortunately my best friend and engine guru passed away a sudden heart attack last thanksgiving and wont be here to see the end results of his planning :cry:

, Our Idea for stroker was to go for torque not hp, since thats what these engines do best, this is going to be going into a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

, I already have a refurbished 4 cw  3235477 crankshaft to start with. , Low compression 87 octane is a must! Parts I would like to use

Yella Terra roller rockers, not sure what ratio to get,, reason going yella instead of HS is i dont want to have to remove baffling from valve cover, or use a valve cover spacer, thats just one more gasket unneeded,

as for the head really like Russ's ported tupy head!, will that work with my WJ?

forged 6.125 rods and forged pistons, for pistons durability is key,

Rollermaster Double Roller Timing Set cs7100

, 24 or maybe 26 # fuel injectors

, Hesco blueprinted HV oil pump, moroso oil pan,

Arp bolts felpro gaskets

62 mm throttle body -

Banks Power 51306 Torque Tube System 540

flex a lite, high performance oil cooler part no. 3953

one part i dont know about and we wanted to really include in this build was a roller cam kit ? is there a good one to be had? 505 shows several, but some say computer friendly some dont, or could i have comp cams custom grind roller cam and use other roller lifter?

yes i know this is an expensive build. any input would be awesome
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Endurance Roller Stroker

Post by Cheromaniac »

Looks like you already have everything well planned.
You can get Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio roller rockers that are significantly cheaper than the Yella Terras, non-adjustable, and fit under the stock valve cover:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s40196

A ported TUPY head would work perfectly for your set up.
The 505 Performance roller cam kits are reputed to be unreliable for long term use so I'd advise you to go for Russ' modified version of the CompCams 68-232-4 with a reduced valve lift that allows the use of stock valve springs/retainers/keepers. Even if you need new valve springs, you can reuse the old retainers/keepers to reduce the cost.
For injectors, I suggest you go for the Bosch 0280155703. They'll flow 24.1lb/hr at 49psi which is enough for a mild stroker making ~240hp.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Happy Easter to all!

You’re off to a good start already have sourced a 258 crankshaft.
Your 477 crank has the long 2.500 snout so you could benefit from my keyed spacer.

I’ve recently worked with Harland Sharp getting their rocker arm streamlined to illuminate some of the previous problems of them having baffle clearance issues.
They’ve also been nice enough to make a custom 1.65:1 ratio for me to go along with the stock 1.60:1 ratio and 1.70:1 which I keep in stock.

I’d recommend staying away from the roller cams on our Jeeps.
Comp Cams makes both early and late thrust plate style cams for me with the nitride upgrade which I strongly advise if you could work it into your budget.

My 4032 high silicon aluminum alloy forged piston ordered with custom dish volumes matched up with affordable bushed steel rods make for a good upgrade package.
Another benefit to my forged rod is both ends are fully profiled.
By eliminating the balance pad on the rod cap, it’ll make it much easier to clear the factory main girdle with the 3.895/258 stroke.

Dino is Correct that you don’t want to go more than a 24lb injector in a 49lb fuel system.
Early Renix and HO’s with It mainline fuel pressure of 34.5lp I typically will use a 27lp Bosch injector.

I have a few of my ported TUPY’s on the shelf and can get yours back for the exchange to help expedite the process.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
Garmobozia1260
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by Garmobozia1260 »

will I need to have a Tune done on this once its installed back in the jeep?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Should vs need is a matter of perspective, but the main factor will be the compression and cam you choose.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

The issue on 00+ Jeeps is the fuel map, especially at WOT where the A:F ratio is locked in at 14.7:1 from the factory at lower rpm. This needs to be adjusted to correct for the altered airflow requirements of a stroker, especially with a ported head and aftermarket cam.
The ignition timing advance curves will also need to be adjusted for optimum performance and to avoid detonation, so you'd best contact someone like Chris Jensen at [email protected] who can do that for you.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

To expand on Dino’s point.
Chris Jensen and I jumped on a flight a couple months back to tune one of my OBD2 customers strokers.
I say this because Chris and I are starting to work together to create some standardize tunes to help refine some of these recipe packages.

He gets real busy and may take a few days for him to get back to you, but don’t hesitate to shoot Chris an email.