what do i need to look for

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
camojeep88
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

what do i need to look for

Post by camojeep88 »

Hello, i am about to start the install on my first stroker build in my 88 xj. Engine is somewhat complete. by that i mean injectors, intake, exhaust, throttle body...basically everything the engine needs to run on its own. What else do i need or should i pay attention to and replace while im doing all this? i have a couple new sensors so far and plan on replacing the rest of them. what power steering pump should i use? is there a better alternator setup i could upgrade to? i was thinking of puting ac back in but i think im just gonna leave that out since i currently have nothing now and there is too much going on between the trans cooler and oil cooler. ive invested more money than i would have liked to but i think when its done it will be worth it but i figured ive gone this far i might as well do what i can while i can. i a complete rookie with strokers so any help is appreciated. thank you
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Re: what do i need to look for

Post by Cheromaniac »

So are you saying that you have a complete, built stroker engine ready to drop into your XJ? What are the specs of your stroker engine? Did you upgrade the injectors?
Before you drop the new engine in, you could use the opportunity to clean the engine bay and freshen it up with new paint if necessary. Also replace any old hoses, the serpentine drive belt, water pump, idler pulleys, radiator (if old), and the crank position sensor.
You could reuse your existing PS pump but if there are any fluid leaks, have it refurbished with new seals.
The stock XJ alternators are extremely reliable so you can definitely reuse yours, but you could have it refurbished with new brushes and bearings.
In essence, the idea is to future proof the Jeep as much as you can so that it'll run reliably for many years.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
camojeep88
Noob
Noob

Post by camojeep88 »

that is correct i have a complete engine ready to go. specs are 88 renix block, 7120 head, scat rotating assembly with keith black pistons, custom ground comp cam, 99-01 intake manifold, bbk throttle body, accel 24lb injectors, roller rockers, flow kooler water pump, roller rockers, hesco high flow tstat housing, thor cowl intake, hesco fuel pressure regulator and tps adapeter, high altitude cps, new flywheel and harmonic balancer all balanced by scat. my engine builder has told me its going to be a 4.6 with 9.5 compression ratio
I have cleaned up the engine compartment and puled all the crappy plastic wire stuff off and replaced with new stuff, pressure washed the crap out of the engine bay i jusdt go the new power steering pump and lines in today, brown dog rubber motor mounts, in the process of getting a new champion aluminium radiator, oil cooler , trans cooler, and probably more. ive been building for a while and have finally got to a point where its time to get the engine back in and drive the thing again. i remember seeing somewhere at one point in time that i needed a new throttle cable. i have the bracket for the power steering pump coming. i have already figured i would just replace all the bolt on stuff so everything will be new with the engine. ill post some pictures later
camojeep88
Noob
Noob

Post by camojeep88 »

:D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Sexy! :mrgreen:
camojeep88
Noob
Noob

Post by camojeep88 »

Cheromaniac wrote: April 11th, 2020, 4:43 am Sexy! :mrgreen:
yes it is and im pretty excited to get it in and keep moving forward. but im not sure if i have everything i need just yet there is so much info out there and going through it all is exhausting just trying to figure out what all i need and finding parts im missing