99 block

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Re: 99 block

Post by Hydro.0 »

haha :doh: up the budget means im looking at the wrongs stuff, lol i cant do 5k into this.
Mainly ide like to get up to speed fast, not how fast can i go/top speed. 3kish still seems reasonable for this project.
87/91 octane. 0630 head maybe ported pending cost.
This engine was once hydro locked so i know Ill need new pistons/rods + balanced preferably, crank, cam. Im not to clear on building a head yet but maybe ported depending on cost. Looks to be a few good valve options/springs, many mopar upgrade builds out there and ls springs.
Is 4.7 territory advisable or more expensive? or is this simply a preference of being able to take the block from .030-.060 bore should you ever rebuild?

is there much difference in a mild/ medium camshaft?

i did read the recipes section, but im not really sure what price range the performance differences suggest.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

My advice is to go with a +0.030" overbore (4587cc or 4.6L) 'cause that would leave enough cylinder wall thickness in the block for a second rebore should it ever become necessary.
A ported 0630 head would certainly save you ~$2000 compared to a ported Edelbrock head, and that's the biggest cost difference between my low buck & medium buck recipes.
For $3k, the 4.6L low buck recipe is doable. The 68-231-4 cam in that recipe is a good, all round cam that produces very good torque from off idle to 5250rpm. It's almost identical in spec to the Crane 753905 that I initially had in my stroker. However if you want a smoother idle and more low rpm torque bias, you could go for Russ' custom variant of the 68-232-4.
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

Would you say a low buck stroker is leaving room for " i wish i would have" and spent a little more or is the difference in power very noticeble. I guess the hardest thing for me to find here is, am I building an enigne that has enough power to move this thing with some exciting pep compared to how it is now. Ide really be upset to findout spending this much didnt do a whole lot in the long run. I know my vehicle has a lot of parasitic draw by nature and Ide like to really pep it up enough to get a kick out of driving it.

Does that seem like your 4.6 advised bore/ cam is up to this?

tell me if this is fair for the build recipies

low buck 2-4k
mild 4-5K
high 5+k
I think my intent is a bit between low/mild- but wanting a good midground of performance.

on another note

Ive seens some build videos that have some issues I dont see through my reading much. Do you recommend any rods that will not have girdle clearance issues?

also, is the stock oil pump sufficient, i saw some guy denting in a pan to clear a high volume pump, is this common??

how much tuning is typically needed, or what tuning?

thank you for the help, Im not quite sure what to ask so im asking to structure what im reading a bit more.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

You certainly wouldn't be disappointed with the power of a 4.6 low buck stroker, and it would also be within your budget.
To answer your other questions:

1. Russ can supply you a set of 4.0L rods that have the balance pad on the small end removed to avoid binding on the pistons, and the balance pads removed on the big end to clear the main bearing cap girdle.

2. The body of a high volume oil pump is bigger than that if a standard oil pump. This makes it necessary to "massage" the oil pan in some cases to clear it.

3. You already have 4.56 axle gears to compensate for the 35" diameter tires so your Jeep will have plenty of pep.

4. The stock ECU is fine in most cases but a retune would optimize performance. Chris Jensen has you covered there and his contact email is [email protected]
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hydro,

Feel free to shoot me an email and I’d be happy to put together pricing and information for a custom balanced rotating assembly that I think will work within your budget and advise you as Dino mentioned what choices we can offer for a camshaft and cylinder head.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

does anyone here live in colorado/utah?

I have a new build spec for a stroker. Whats it take to build a stroker that will not flinch going up I-70 on a jeep with 35s.

Last moab trip was miserable with the engine always wanting to go into passing gear just to breath enough to push up the 80mph highway into utah, it hated life.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Hydro.0 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 10:27 pm does anyone here live in colorado/utah?

I have a new build spec for a stroker. Whats it take to build a stroker that will not flinch going up I-70 on a jeep with 35s.

Last moab trip was miserable with the engine always wanting to go into passing gear just to breath enough to push up the 80mph highway into utah, it hated life.
I'm in Utah (Wasatch front). Can't comment on driveability on the highway because I'm still putting the engine together. I'd think for highway performance you might want a bit higher power band. My stock cam is probably going to leave some power on the table at highway rpm. Just a thought.
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

oh boy well youll be close. Any idea when you might be driving it?

Please let me know what you find out once you start scooting around.

Ha all I care about out of this engine is wether or not itll take me up these roads effortlessly. If it can itll do anything else I need easily.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Hydro.0 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 7:33 am oh boy well youll be close. Any idea when you might be driving it?

Please let me know what you find out once you start scooting around.

Ha all I care about out of this engine is wether or not itll take me up these roads effortlessly. If it can itll do anything else I need easily.
I imagine it should be running in the next couple weeks. It's a mild 4.7 stroker for now so there's all sorts of power that can be added on with cam, valves, throttle body, etc. My engine is 60 over, 4.2 scat crank, 9.2(ish) compression, diy port/polish head, ported intake and exhaust, bigger injectors, stock cam and stock throttle body for now. Hopefully I'll do a bigger cam and head work later. I just ran out of time and I'm tired of spending money on what is a barely lifted xj with 31s. It needs axle and suspension upgrades before it's much fun for me anyway.

I'd be happy to give you a ride in it when it's done.