99 block

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Re: 99 block

Post by Hydro.0 »

I did not expect that money to be a premium stroker, Im happy to spend less for sure. This is a pump gass application that needs to be reliable, but definitely deliver compared to stock.

What kinda builds are we talking for this money, INCLUDING machine work?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

You have my contact information.

A good local Automotive machine shop should be able to give you cylinder block machine costs.
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

email sent, thank you
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Xj

Post by Mike B »

I ended up getting my block machined for $550, including boring, honing, decking, hot tanking, and line bore honing to make sure crank journals were all well, freeze plug install, cam bearing install and magnfluxing. All in no particular order. I ended up driving an hour and a half to the machine shop to have it done as opposed to someone local to me, but well worth it, guy was really knowledgable on the whole ordeal. The shop that did my work is Truco Engine in Buffalo, NY. I'm sure you're nowhere near Buffalo, but dont be afraid to look around your area and see if theres another shop within 2 hours that could do the work for a better price.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

You did very well to get all that done for only $550!
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

Mike B wrote: April 30th, 2020, 3:43 pm I ended up getting my block machined for $550, including boring, honing, decking, hot tanking, and line bore honing to make sure crank journals were all well, freeze plug install, cam bearing install and magnfluxing. All in no particular order. I ended up driving an hour and a half to the machine shop to have it done as opposed to someone local to me, but well worth it, guy was really knowledgable on the whole ordeal. The shop that did my work is Truco Engine in Buffalo, NY. I'm sure you're nowhere near Buffalo, but dont be afraid to look around your area and see if theres another shop within 2 hours that could do the work for a better price.
that is incredible pricing. Ill have to call around further, theres so many sketchy reviews of engine shops out here, few I feel great about. In Northern CO.

If I can be done with a stroker for 3k including cam, pistons, crank, injectors the whole deal kinda, ide be pretty happy about pulling the trigger. I really dont care to go over 4k and even thats steep for me.
Does this pricing affect 4.6 vs 4.7 options much? I dont need a race car but ide like to get some fun I can feel in the seat around town, plus shes got 35s/4.56 and needs some extra love beyond just a header and straight pipe.

I finished pulling the cam and crank, all freeze plugs accept the very highest one by the head, its a booger. Also left the oil galley plugs in. shes all bare bones now, just gotta get it to a shop to see if shes good to build on/hot tank.

I still dont know what is officially up with my current engine. oil pressure great, drives great. sounds like the video I posted, hasnt changed ever. Even put 15w in from the 5w i had in this winter, no change. anyway

Russ, I emailed, sitll havent heard back, you seem very involved on hear, busy man.
Would it be better to call you to discuss options, or is it easier to email me a some options?

thank you
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

4.6/4.7 won't affect cost. Call Russ and talk to him. He is a great resource and awesome about taking the time to discuss things and get you pointed in the right direction.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

It's easiest to either call him or send him a PM on this forum.
Oversize +0.030" pistons will yield 4587cc (4.6L), and +0.060" pistons will yield 4657cc (4.7L) with no difference in cost.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Apologize if I haven’t responded to your email.
Normally try and respond to all of my emails with a couple of days, not complaining but I’ve been really busy as of late.

Always welcome to call me on my cell and if I don’t pick up please leave a message and I’ll be sure to call you right back.

Thanks so much,
Russ
Cell (626) 673-2203
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

Cheromaniac wrote: May 5th, 2020, 11:01 pm It's easiest to either call him or send him a PM on this forum.
Oversize +0.030" pistons will yield 4587cc (4.6L), and +0.060" pistons will yield 4657cc (4.7L) with no difference in cost.
is there noticeable power difference?

Im trying to decide what i need for a DD/ weekend warrior jeep. ide like some good scoootability up to 50-60mph, probalby most of the goose to 40 mph. I drive conservatively on the trails and any extra power will be seen there anyhow.

there are many options out there for kits. Ive come across a set up I may post to see what you all think, means little to me but seems to be a comprehensive bit of parts.

Ive read a lot on this forum, is there some kind of A-Z format of what one needs to choose for building a stroker? where would you suggest someone to start when it comes to deciding what I might want?

I mean do you pick a 4.5,6,7,8 and build up to that or off a cam, off hp/tq hopes? ive seen the calculator and vague recipes, but ive lacked seeing where to begin on considering parts.

what im pleased with so far is my RPM range/ new tires are allowing the trans to use much more RPM range smoothly. It used to wrap out quicker but ide say the new tires allow this to be more 2 stroke esq through the rpm range, pushing through all the RPM before shifts if I want. Now i just need the power to get her to push the weight.

Russ ill call you once I get the block/head cleaned and know it can be used. Thank you for getting back to me.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Given that the 4.7 stroker only has a 1.5% higher displacement than the 4.6, any difference in performance will be insignificant all else being equal.
There's a wealth of information in the two links of my signature so I suggest you have a good read and decide what you want. The most popular recipe is the 4.6L low buck stroker and slight variants of it. With supporting mods such as a cold air intake, larger throttle body, header, and 2.5" exhaust, you'll typically get around 260-270hp and 320-330lbft at the crank. Not bad for an engine whose design dates back to 1964.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

is it pretty much guaranteed that ill need to have an adjustable map sensor, i see theres no AFR for my year?

do i need to worry about the stock bosch fuel pump not being able to supply injectors?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Assuming your Jeep is also a '99 model, the 49psi fuel pressure regulator is in the tank and there's no adjustable version.
A MAP adjuster will only change the fueling at >70% throttle so while it may be helpful, it may not be the ideal solution if your injectors aren't correctly sized.
The stock 90lph fuel pump becomes maxed out at ~300hp and it's unlikely you'll exceed that.
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

no i doubt ill exceed that capacity, my thoughts were towards emissions testing and if that would be an issue needing to adjust.

what do you all think about this old referenced build( its a long list):
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1032246
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Well you're in luck 'cause there's a Walbro 255lph fuel pump available for your model.
If your ambition is to build a 300hp stroker, you'll need to increase your budget accordingly and go for a ported Edelbrock head. The choke point will be the intake manifold so that would also need to be ported with the plenum opening enlarged for a 70mm throttle body.