Help for a newbie

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Netpackrat
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Help for a newbie

Post by Netpackrat »

If you want to keep the factory engine management, I am pretty sure you will have to keep the mini cats. They each have an O2 sensor before and after for a total of 4, and the system won't work if you get rid of all that. When my brother installed his header, he went with some variety of high flow cats, so there's definitely options out there to reduce back pressure while keeping the electronics intact.
elimsprint
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by elimsprint »

I'm not really up on my exhaust and O2 sensor science. Do you have to have the small cats for the O2 sensors to work or could I just ad bungs to the exhaust and headers for the O2 sensors in about the same position as the stock units and leave out the cats? Otherwise I guess it's either the stock manifolds and exhaust or '00 and up headers and high flows etc. Is it worth the cost for the headers and cats?

Oh, sorry about the long delay in replying, I was blocked from the site for some strange reason and my ISP had to sort it out.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

If you delete the cats, the downstream O2 sensors will trigger a CEL. In states that test NOx emissions, your vehicle will also fail.
If you're going to install headers, at least get high flow cats so that you'll have neither of the aforementioned problems. That said, the stock '00+ exhaust manifolds with minicats do a pretty good job anyway so ask yourself if it's worth the cost.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cheromaniac wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:54 pmThat said, the stock '00+ exhaust manifolds with minicats do a pretty good job anyway so ask yourself if it's worth the cost.
My conclusion was that it's not, but my stroker build is a lot milder than most I have read about. It didn't hurt that I got all of the manifolds and accessories with my core, so I had a couple sets of iron manifolds to choose from.
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

Cheromaniac wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:54 pm If you delete the cats, the downstream O2 sensors will trigger a CEL. In states that test NOx emissions, your vehicle will also fail.
If you're going to install headers, at least get high flow cats so that you'll have neither of the aforementioned problems. That said, the stock '00+ exhaust manifolds with minicats do a pretty good job anyway so ask yourself if it's worth the cost.
I live in the hinterlands of BC, Canada, so no emission testing for me :D If I am going to get little to no performance increase from the headers, etc then stock manifolds and maybe new cats (depending on what I can find up here) is probably the way I will go. Any recommendations on mini cat brands to look for or avoid?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

The biggest restriction in the stock Jeep exhaust is the crimped midpipe and the main cat. Replacing those with a 2.5" pipe and high flow cat really opens up the exhaust.
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

I already punched out the main cat, I think it was clogged up with stuff from the mini cats, when I replaced the muffler with a magnaflow cat-back system. I'm having real problems finding "high flow" minis up here but the search continues. I'm also having trouble finding a TUPY head to rebuild anywhere nearby so I'm at a bit of a standstill right now.
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

The weather is better and I'm feeling a bit better after having a severe head cold so it's time for more stroker questions. I pulled the cam this morning to see exactly what it was and now I am more confused. I don't see a brand or model number on it. I see "EP-88, C-14, D-2, C-2 and CWC" cast into it in various places and I see what looks like "68 2314 UT40 5306" scribed into the back end. It's supposed to be a CompCams cam, is this normal markings and if so what do they mean?

I'm thinking it's this cam https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-4x4-206 ... -4-0l.html and if so is this suitable for my build?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

It's the CompCams 68-231-4 cam and yes, it'll do nicely for a stroker build.