Newbie about to take the plunge!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Olysan
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Newbie about to take the plunge!

Post by Olysan »

All of the information here is a little overwhelming. About 15 years ago I designed and built a 383 for a boat that I owned, I had so much fun with that project I'm thinking about building a 4.7!!! I recently bought a 2000 Wrangler. I bought it from out of state so I haven't evaluated the engine, but I bought it knowing it would need a rebuild or replace. So here's my plan and a couple of questions:
  • Pull the engine, break it down and take it to the machine shop for evaluation.
    • If the block is rebuildable I plan to build a budget stroker
    • If the Block is shot I will most likely go with a stock crate engine (Most likely from "Powertrain Products"
  • The Cleg kits seem to be reasonably priced. Are they a quality product and are there any hidden gotchas that up the price?
  • What is a fair price to have a shop remove and reinstall an engine in a Wrangler? I have to decide where I want to spend my time and it might make more sense to have the a shop pull the engine
  • Can I build the stroker and get to a complete running Jeep for $3500? I know there will be a bunch of costs associated with the engine rebuild. I would most likely have the machine shop assemble my short block. I would want to have the head rebuilt while it was out as well.
Here's to my first step on this journey! :cheers:

Mike
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Newbie about to take the plunge!

Post by Cheromaniac »

Building a stroker and having it installed for a total cost of $3500 is doable but you'll need to shop around for parts and do as much of the work as possible yourself.
A modified poor man's stroker sounds like a logical route for you:

4.6L Modified "poor man's" stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.020" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 26cc
9.25:1 CR
Stock 4.0 camshaft
DIY ported HO 1.91"/1.50" 57cc cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Bosch 0280155703 injectors for '96-'04 engines
245hp @ 4700rpm, 315lbft @ 3000rpm ('96-'04 camshaft)
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Xj

Post by Mike B »

I bought all my parts from clegg so far and have spent north of $4k, but I had ordered stage 2 stroker kit and stage 2 cam kit, stage 3 ported and polished head from then, bored tb, head bolts, roller rockers, valve cover spacer and some other odd and ends. I had my block machined for $500, and have spent a few hundred on gaskets and other parts that I wanted to be new such as distributor and water pump.

Of course you can spend much less than what I did, but I want to get as much out of this build as I can. Still working on it FWIW, but that's because I started it in the fall and dont have a heated garage to work in atm, so I cant really tell you how this engine will run yet.

As far as clegg goes, I dont have any issues with them, they have taken care of me and have answered many questions I've had as well as taken care of some concerns.
Netpackrat
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Netpackrat »

I bought my kit from Clegg and I have no complaints. After I placed my order online, my phone rang... Somebody at Clegg called me up with a question based on the options I had chosen, and I ended up changing my order slightly based on his advice.