Jumped into a stroker like I did that mud hole

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Topher
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Jumped into a stroker like I did that mud hole

Post by Topher »

Back in February I attempted to use our 2000 Jeep Wrangler as a boat. I went through multiple sandy high water holes and after 30 minutes killed our 4.0. I took apart the motor and it looked terrible. I was amazed how much sand made it all the way down into the bottom of the oil pan. Knowing I'd likely need to replace many parts I opted for a Stage 1 stroker kit from Clegg. I do most mechanic work on my own, but didn't want to take on rebuilding an engine. I got the long block back a month ago and it's been sitting in my garage. Life has been busy and I'm almost ready to put this engine back in. A few nights ago I was looking into replacing my injectors and came across this website. I discovered I should have done a lot more research before going the stroker route. I spent about 4 hours reading through posts and I'm still a bit confused.

My original goal with the stroker was to gain some torque and horse power while still using 87 octane.

I figured it best to start with the Static/Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator

I'm having difficulty finding the thickness of the head gasket used, Enginetech J242K-3

I'm also having difficulty determining cam lobe separation angle and if the cam is advanced or retarded, Enginetech ES242
I think the LSA is 107.5

KB Hypereutectic Dish Pistons -27.5cc #KB421
Cast Piston Rings #E667
Scat Enterprises 9000 Series Cast Steel Crankshaft 3.895” Stroke #9-4.2L-3895
Scat Forged Connecting Rods 4.0L 242ci 6.125” (got new ones as I didn't want to wait for a set of reconditioned)

Any help is appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Jumped into a stroker like I did that mud hole

Post by Cheromaniac »

I believe the head gasket is the same multi-layer steel version made by Victor Reinz so it probably has a compressed thickness of 0.043".
The camshaft is the same OEM unit fitted to the '96-'04 4.0 with the following specs:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/engin ... shaft,5260

Since the LSA is 107.5* and the ICA is 110*, it's 2.5 degrees retarded.

With 27.5cc dished pistons, your stroker will have a static compression ratio of 8.8:1 so you can definitely use 87 octane gas.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Topher

Post by Topher »

Cheromaniac,

Thank you for replying & providing the information I was hunting for. This website is completely awesome. The amount of information has been little overwhelming. I ended up here 12/3/19 while researching fuel injectors. Once I landed here I got caught up researching "4.6" and "87 octane". This got me down the path of what my quench number is and by that point it was 1 AM.

I've been contemplating purchasing the below injectors. Do you or anyone else have opinions you care to share about these injectors?

https://precisionautoinjectors.com/prod ... l6-gas-ohv

Again, any help is appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Hard to tell 'cause there's no part no. but the most suitable ones for your needs are the Bosch 0280155703.
Topher

Post by Topher »

Thank you